Need Help In Making Chocolate Cigars/curls/rolls

Decorating By imrellik Updated 23 Aug 2012 , 7:50am by Evoir

imrellik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imrellik Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 11:28am
post #1 of 7

Hi Ive never made chocolate cigars/curls before and have zero knowledge about it.
Ive downloaded a video from youtube its 2 parts video showing how to create cigars/curls/rolls.

When watching the video everything seems so easy but after 4 to 5 disappointing efforts I was only able to make just 4 or 5 cigars/curls.

Now it seems clear that Im doing something wrong therefore here are my doubts.

1. Which kind of chocolate should one use when making cigars/curls, the compound the one having vegetable oil which doesnt require tampering or the other with cocoa butter which requires tampering?

2. When spreading the chocolate with palette knife on the marble table should I keep the chocolate thin layer or the layer of chocolate needs to be thick, if thick then how thick?

3. After spreading the chocolate and cleaning the edges how much time should I wait so that the chocolate gets ready for cigars/curls and doesnt stick to the blade palette knife?

4. Is there any angle my blade palette knife should be when making cigars/curls, if yes then whats the angle?

5. How much distance should I leave, when I insert the blade palette knife to create cigars/curls?

6. How should be my hand movement i.e. Fast/Medium/Slow and how much pressure should I apply when making chocolate cigars/curls?

I hope somebody who has good knowledge in making chocolate cigars/curls/rolls can help me clear my doubts; Im also attaching the picture of chocolate cigars/curls/rolls I made for your reference.

Thanks
LL

6 replies
southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 7

I never have managed to make the chocolate cigar/cigarette in the traditional manner so after too many failures and with a cake order bearing down on me I resorted to "http://cakecentral.com/tutorial/how-to-make-chocolate-cigarellos-natis-way".

here's how mine turned out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharondutton/6182817335/in/photostream

I even used white chocolate melts and while it's not my proudest moment, they were a big, big hit with all the guests at the party.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:11am
post #3 of 7

1. Use either compound or tempered - whatever you prefer!

2. Spread it rather thin. Start with a 6" splash on your bench top, then use your offset spatula to push and spread back and forth, ending up with a layer about 1-2 mm thick. Keep pushing and spreading in one direction back and forth for 30-60 seconds, depending on the bench, chocolate and ambient temperature. As soon as the chocolate starts to lose it's gloss, as it's setting, smooth it flat, and clean edges. Grab your bench scraper.

3. This is where trial and error comes in. Start furthest from you edge, dig in an inch or so from edge and with scraper around 45 deg and push quickly and firmly out. Experiment with angle and distance from edge. The cigar should be well formed. Move it to one side so it can finish setting up. Continue working towards yourself.

4. One smear can yield 6 - 12 cigars, depending how far you've spread it when you are pushing it to that almost-set stage before rolling cigars.

One last tip, try it with white choc first...it has a longer working time.

Hth!

Evoir Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:12am
post #4 of 7

2. Spread it rather thin. Start with a 6" splash on your bench top, then use your offset spatula to push and spread back and forth, ending up with a layer about 1-2 mm thick. Keep pushing and spreading in one direction back and forth for 30-60 seconds, depending on the bench, chocolate and ambient temperature. As soon as the chocolate starts to lose it's gloss, as it's setting, smooth it flat, and clean edges. Grab your bench scraper.

3. This is where trial and error comes in. Start furthest from you edge, dig in an inch or so from edge and with scraper around 45 deg and push quickly and firmly out. Experiment with angle and distance from edge. The cigar should be well formed. Move it to one side so it can finish setting up. Continue working towards yourself.

4. One smear can yield 6 - 12 cigars, depending how far you've spread it when you are pushing it to that almost-set stage before rolling cigars.

Hth!

Evoir Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:13am
post #5 of 7

Hth!

imrellik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imrellik Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 7:04am
post #6 of 7

Thanks Evoir, for replying i guess i need to start practice more and see if I'm having any further trouble in making choco cigars/curls. Thanks again i really appreciate it.

Evoir Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 7:50am
post #7 of 7

It is really hard to write a description of how to do it. The main point though is that working your spatual back and forth through the chocolate you have on your bench until it starts to harden. Then you need to push out your cigars while it is still slightly malleable. Its a small window of workability!!

Good luck with it, hon icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%