Feeling Ornery: My New Favorite Emoticon!

Lounge By BlakesCakes Updated 21 Aug 2012 , 4:31am by BlakesCakes

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 12

Every once in awhile, when I express my OPINION, someone will chime in with what appears to me to be a very concerted, detailed, overwrougt effort to convince me (and others) that I'm wrong/mistaken/uninformed/etc.

I actually like an exchange of ideas and opinions--I usually state that it is MY opinion- but I really despise being preached at and I particularly hate nit pickers. I also admit, in writing, when I come to the conclusion that I'm wrong or have re-thought my stance.

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat (or ice a cake) and NONE of us is right 100% of the time.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that you can have a conversation with someone who doesn't want to converse, but instead wants to convert.

So, I went in a search for an emoticon/gif that would be immature and express how I really feel in these instances. In the past, I've used a chicken impaled with a fork for "Stick a fork in me, I'm done.", but I like this one better:

If you like it, too, you can find it here, about halfway down the page in a reply:
http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/question/rudest-clearance-request-i-have-ever-seen

Yes, it's a slow cake day.

Cheers to all the helpful, thoughtful bakers and decorators here on CC........anyone else, you know who you are

icon_twisted.gif

JMHO
Rae

11 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 12

Just my opinion, but you usually come off as quite crabby and defensive. Since you were offering up your opinions and all. And I'm not at all surprised that you'd write a post like this.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Just my opinion, but you usually come off as quite crabby and defensive.

I disagree...Rae is only crabby and defensive sometimes, I wouldn't say "usually".

The word "ornery" is definitely apropos though.

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Just my opinion, but you usually come off as quite crabby and defensive. Since you were offering up your opinions and all. And I'm not at all surprised that you'd write a post like this.

[quote="jason-kraft]I disagree...Rae is only crabby and defensive sometimes, I wouldn't say "usually".
The word "ornery" is definitely apropos though.[/quote]

Wow! Apparently the world has turned upside down today!

Yes, I'm crabby & defensive when being/feeling attacked--who isn't?

But really, I'm not "attacked", nor do I feel "attacked" very often, so the posts that read as such are pretty few.........and Jason has very kindly alluded to that............

That's not to say that I won't call a spade a spade. I did recently tell a poster that they were, "WRONG" for one reason.............they were wrong. It would be outright stupid to allow truly incorrect information to stand as the final truth in a post.

As for ornery............rarely. I don't get into confrontations just for the fun of it. I don't like drama, but I won't let anyone "talk over me". If I believe in what I say, I'm not going to go into a corner with my tail between my legs.

As for my post, I put it in the Lounge, I didn't post it where I really WANTED to post it, and I admitted it was immature. And in a thin vein of maturity, I won't utilize my new found smiley friend here, either.

Crabby, defensive, ornery, immature, but happy to help when and where I can,
Rae
(go ahead, use the emoticon--you know you want to)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 12:09am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that you can have a conversation with someone who doesn't want to converse, but instead wants to convert.

That's exactly how I feel about you.

I wish this forum had an ignore setting, to hide the posts of those who we just can't stand!

Since we're sharing honest opinions here and all that icon_biggrin.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 12:21am
post #6 of 12
Quote:

Every once in awhile, when I express my OPINION, someone will chime in with what appears to me to be a very concerted, detailed, overwrougt effort to convince me (and others) that I'm wrong/mistaken/uninformed/etc.

I actually like an exchange of ideas and opinions--I usually state that it is MY opinion- but I really despise being preached at and I particularly hate nit pickers. I also admit, in writing, when I come to the conclusion that I'm wrong or have re-thought my stance.

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat (or ice a cake) and NONE of us is right 100% of the time.

So, I went in a search for an emoticon/gif that would be immature and express how I really feel in these instances. In the past, I've used a chicken impaled with a fork for "Stick a fork in me, I'm done.", but I like this one better:

If you like it, too, you can find it here, about halfway down the page in a reply:
http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/anyanswers/question/rudest-clearance-request-i-have-ever-seen

Yes, it's a slow cake day.

Cheers to all the helpful, thoughtful bakers and decorators here on CC........anyone else, you know who you are

icon_twisted.gif

JMHO
Rae

It's adorable, I love it! Thanks for sharing.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 12:51am
post #7 of 12
Quote:

Yes, I'm crabby & defensive when being/feeling attacked--who isn't?

When people post personal attacks about me (it happens a lot) I just ignore them and reply to their valid points, if any. If you respond to the attack you are just giving the attacker positive reinforcement, making it more likely they will continue to bully others in the future.

But I don't think someone who is looking to "convert" (i.e. persuade others of the validity of their opinion) is equivalent to a personal attack, as long as arguments are made about the issue and not about the people posting.

Missy227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missy227 Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 1:03am
post #8 of 12

As a newbie, I very much appreciate the varying opinions and different approaches that you all have. Your opposing insights give me a much broader picture so I can pick and choose what will work best for me. I do feel a little disheartened over some of the petty comments though. I would like to express my genuine gratitude to those who constantly post helpful tips and techniques. You are an invaluable resource for a newbie like me, so thank you.

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 3:26am
post #9 of 12

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference........--Reinhold Niebuhr

And when that fails..........................

Rae

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 3:45am
post #10 of 12

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 4:00am
post #11 of 12

Rae, I just love that emoticon because I seem to do it often when dealing with my grown children who are still dealing with the delusion that they are smarter than me!

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 4:31am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenise

Rae, I just love that emoticon because I seem to do it often when dealing with my grown children who are still dealing with the delusion that they are smarter than me!

Jenise, which one? The "lalala fingers in ears" or the "head banging on wall"? OR BOTH?

I know with my boys, it sort of alternated, depending on the phase of the moon.......

LOL
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%