I Am Not Really A Cake Decorator But Need Some Major Help!!

Decorating By Giroux Updated 23 Aug 2012 , 9:24pm by SkisandBakes

Giroux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Giroux Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 10

I am really wanting to make a cake for my boyfriend who is going to school for his last year of Power Lineman and want to make a really awesome Lineman cake but not sure how to do it..What to use for powerpoles or a big rig bucket truck and such..Any help would be appreciated!!

9 replies
hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 10

Well, if you don't feel confident drawing it with a piping bag, try looking for somebody willing and able to do edible image printing for you.

Or if you want something more 3-dimensional, you could make line poles out of pretzel rods or thin breadsticks, with black licorice for wires, and maybe sculpt a bucket truck out of cookies and/or cake.

I'm sure that there are others with far more experience who can give you a lot more help; I'm a programmer by trade, myself.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 10

I honestly can't believe that I'm the only one to respond to this. Certainly there are others here far more qualified than I to help the OP out with her project.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 10

Pretzel rods were the first thing I thought of for power poles.

Giroux Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks, I think I am going to attemt to make the bucket truck out of rice krispie cake, try and find those big pretzal sticks for the power poles and black shoelace licorice for the powerline and the orange and yellow halloween candy things for the pyelons. hopefully it turns out..just not sure how to colour or design the bucket truck without icing running to the bottom of the truck.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 10

As far as not running, consider my own experience, this past April, writing on the side of a pound cake baked in a Bundt mold:

I made the frosting as stiff as possible, so stiff that I actually had to take it out of the piping bag, and thin it a bit, because it wouldn't go through the tip.

If you make frosting so stiff that it will barely go through a piping bag, it's going to stay attached to a vertical surface without running. And Rice Krispie Treats can probably be spread with a frosting so stiff that it would rip a cake to pieces, if you tried to spread it.

SkisandBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkisandBakes Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 4:29am
post #7 of 10

Use a crusting buttercream and chill the cake to get the icing to set well between your base colour and accent colours.

Giroux Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 10

how do I do that with the icing? and such I have never done this before at all and have zero practice icon_sad.gif And with the rice krispie cake..how can i make it stiff enough for it to say in its shape of the bucket truck with the bucket extended?

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 10

You would definitely need something more substantial for the arm on the bucket truck, although I have no clue at all what that would be, other than "cheating" and using something that isn't edible (such as wire, which would have to be completely covered with something food-safe).

SkisandBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkisandBakes Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 10

You could try making a sheet cake, freezing it and then carving it to get the main truck body shape and attaching something to make the arm. I just made a Thomas the Traing cake for my son's birthday using this method and it turned out great. If you google Thomas the Train tutorial you will see the instructions I followed to carve the cake. It worked like a charm. I can bake but the whole decorating thing is very new to me too. So I know how you are feeling. Maybe you could just find a model or lego bucket truck to put on a sheet cake as an alternative.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%