Work For Resort? What Would You Do?

Business By luvscakes Updated 18 Aug 2012 , 8:44pm by BakingIrene

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 3

Hi there,

I have had my own business from my home for the past 6 years. We just moved, and I was offered a position with a resort as the baker/ decorator for weddings. I'm thinking it's a win, win as I'd love to see the workings of hotel/ resort weddings and it seems like a great learning experience. Also, it will be nice to have income while I build my own client base up over the next few years.

Do any of you have experience with working for a large company and doing things like birthdays, on the side? Can you think of any reasons this wouldn't be a good thing?

I appreciate your input!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 3

......Can you think of any reasons this wouldn't be a good thing? ........

Well, they can make you sign an agreement/contract that you will NOT do any work on your own.
Often you might be called upon on time off to come in for a 'rush job'
You might not have much control on what you can do.

Otherwise it could be a nice, fun way to earn some $$. I most likely would take such an offer if it came my way icon_smile.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 3

Remember that a resort WILL have a lot of last minute orders. I doubt you will have time on the side for more cakes...

Anyway make sure you have a contract and get the resort to sign it. The issue to watch out for will be too many overtime hours...there are usually state limits but enforcing them is another can of worms. You should ask for "flex hours" that allow you to bank overtime so that you can go home and still get paid at slow times.

Also the contract needs to define how much mandatory time you will be on call for holidays. Don't be surprised if your family celebrations have to be offset--you along with airline pilots and medical staff need to haev this defined.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%