Does This Sound Right?

Decorating By Addictive_desserts Updated 12 Mar 2013 , 1:04am by coloradocache

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 4:59am
post #1 of 12

I need to make a pill bottle, will 6" at 7" high be unstable?
Or eh at suggestions or tutorials can you provide?

11 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 5:15am
post #2 of 12

Only unstable if not properly supported.

It's basically a 2 tier cake, so the bottom tier is on a board with 4 supports in the cake. The top tier is on a board, resting on the supports. I'd also central dowel it, with that dowel being anchored in the decorative underboard.

Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 12

Yes, what she ^^^ saidicon_smile.gif
What is going to maybe be a problem is transporting such a tall, thin cake. It will be an unstable tower. Put it on a much larger board and box it. Hopefull you can find a box as or almost as tall as the cake. Don't take corners sharp and drive nice, slow and steady icon_smile.gif

Addictive_desserts Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks, it needs to go 45min drive, would 8" cake be better? But how high will it need to be to look proportionate?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 12

I'd think it would need to be at least 10-12" tall to look right. That's a ton more cake and the higher you go, the less stable it will be.

With a 45 min. drive, I'd double stake it. Make sure that you "map" the supports in the bottom cake so that when you place the 2 full length dowels, they don't interfere.

Nothing can rotate on 2 spikes.

Rae

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 12

Have you seen my photo of a prescription bottle? I'll try to post a link. It is 8 - 6" rounds. I used 3 sets of bamboo skewers to support. The top is made of hollow gumpaste. I can walk you though it if you like mine.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 12
Addictive_desserts Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks that's great, how high was your layers? If you can pm me a brief step by step would be really appreciated. Thanks

coloradocache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradocache Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 10:45pm
post #9 of 12

I'm doing a similar cake only square to look like an 8" tall gift box. How do you take it apart to serve it? Do you feel for the cake board and slice through only the fondant with a knife so you can lift the cake board and top portion of cake off the bottom portion? I'm confused?

DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 12

Each tier is 1". So it's 3-2" cakes if you bake them that high. I do. This particular cake was Red velvet & cream cheese, so it was very tempermental. Also, I about gave up on this #$*()#$*() cake! It was horrible! Once I finally figured it out, it was easy!

The first thing you need to do is make the cap. Mine was 8" in diameter. I cut a cake box to make the structure. I cut the 2- 8" circles (top & bottom) then the ring for the side. I used tape to put it all together. The structure doesn't have to be perfect. The fondant will cover any spots. I used a 50/50 mix of fondant & gumpaste. I covered the cap like I would a cake trimming at the bottom edge. It won't be high enough for anyone to be looking at the underside.

Once it was covered, I used one of the gumpaste tools to make all the ridges. I printed the arrows on cardstock for templates & cut them from red fondant.

Now for the cakes. I really didn't have the supports I needed for this cake & ended up using bamboo skewers. I'm going to tell you how I would now do it. Stack & fill the first 4 layers. Stick a support column or dowel in the middle. place a cake board on top. Stack & fill the remaining 4 layers. As I'm stacking, I put a very small amount of frosting on the sides..not really a crumb coat but enough to keep it from drying out. Refrigerate!

Then, I final coated. I used a super big scrapper I found at Home Depot.

Cover in fondant. I used a combo of yellow, orange, & a hint of brown to get that weird pharmacy color.

I used an edible image for the label. I wanted to give it a bit of depth, so I first rolled out a bit of fondant to about 1/8" thick.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Addictive_desserts Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 2:41am
post #11 of 12

Thanks that's great help. It makes sense in my head now.

coloradocache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradocache Posted 12 Mar 2013 , 1:04am
post #12 of 12

How do you cut and serve this cake?

"I'm doing a similar cake only square to look like an 8" tall gift box. How do you take it apart to serve it? Do you feel for the cake board and slice through only the fondant with a knife so you can lift the cake board and top portion of cake off the bottom portion? I'm confused?"

Do you put a layer of fondant on top of the 1st layer before the cake board to make the 1st layer look better when it is served?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%