Friday Night Cake Club 8/17/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 18 Aug 2012 , 12:34pm by rosech

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 1:08am
post #1 of 16

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's Up? Whatcha' workin' on?

Cat

15 replies
catlharper Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 1:17am
post #2 of 16

Hi everyone!

This week has been wicked busy for me! I had both the Beauty and the Beast cake as well as the Dr. Who TARDIS cake. We are headed down to the Bay Area tonight so I wanted to make sure to open the FNCC early. I'll be here for about another hour, then 2 hours driving time to get the cakes down to the right area before the 1st delivery tomorrow morning, and then I'll be back here!

I already posted the B&B cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2385468/jillys-beauty-and-the-beast-birthday-cake

It got a great reception here! I'll post the TARDIS cake next week. The B&B cake turned out perfectly...I really am very happy with it. The TARDIS was a bit harder. I woke up with a sinus headache this morning and just worked my way through it. Add to that the fact I was working with Duff's blue fondant...which is very very soft, to do this panel work...my day was long and agonizing...LOL. But it turned out very well. Passed muster with my own 11 yr old Dr. Who fan so I'm fairly sure the birthday kid will be happy with it! LOL! With that one I could only have asked that the panel lines be perfectly straight. With the soft fondant tho' I had to come to the realization that I could either allow the lines to be a little less perfect or lose my sanity. I voted to keep my sanity! LOL!

So we are headed out soon...party #1 is at 11am tomorrow and party #2 is at noon on Sunday. In between is my SIL's b'day dinner but we are going out for that one and his wife, our younger daughter, did the cake. WHEW! LOL!

How has everyone's week been? Dying to see some of the cakes you all have been talking about. Please do post photos or links here so we can all see your work?

Cat

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 2:25am
post #3 of 16

Hi Everyone,

It has been MONTHS since I have dropped in on a Friday night. Burned out a little on caking & took a bit of a hiatus. I do have a few cakes coming up over the next few months for friends & family.

Mostly done with a giant cupcake but still need to make the regular cupcakes to go with it for a Yo Gabba Gabba party tomorrow. Picked up the themed candles and the plastic rings for the licensed character elements. Hoping the marshmallow fondant holds up--it was REALLY soft. I usually buy fondant but I made it this time. I struggle to get the correct consistency with MMF.

Has anyone heard anything about CA's Cottage Food Law passing? The owner of the bakery where I get my supplies mentioned that it did but I can't find anything beyond it having passed committee.

Kristy

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 2:27am
post #4 of 16

BTW Cat--Can't wait to see your TARDIS cake. Huge Who fans here! I actually have plans to build a TARDIS bookcase for my reading room/den. Yes, I am that big of a geek,

Kristy

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 2:36am
post #5 of 16

Yeah, I would love to see that TARDIS cake too! My DH is a huge Dr. Who fan! For me it was a light week so I am finished and just kicking back surfing the web and looking through all the Threadcakes entries this year. Man, there are some super cakes in there this year. I'm not so sure my little cake has a chance...

http://www.threadcakes.com/entries/view/1546

catlharper Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 4:56am
post #6 of 16

Hi there again,

We made it to the Bay Area with the cakes intact! I promise to put up the TARDIS cake on Sunday night...I don't have the photos with me and this isn't my computer<G>.

As for business..I'd be SO happy if the CA cottage law passes...even to just have passed committee is a huge deal! I'll keep my fingers crossed. I spend a fortune in kitchen rental fees.

I still have one more cake for the summer and then I actually get a few weeks OFF! Yup, OFF! Don't know what I'll do with myself! LOL! (I'm sure to find something to do<G>icon_wink.gif

Cat

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 5:16am
post #7 of 16

I have lots that I should be working on, but none that I am. icon_smile.gif

I finished a 9 inch round designed and partially created by and for my great-niece at about 9:30 tonight. Lord, working with her, on that cake, has worn me out and Fellow Cakers, it was um....not my style if you know what I mean. Red, orange, brown, purple, pink, and mauve. Flowers, leaves, butterflies, and ganache. I airbrushed the ganache silver. Yea, baby, that lil chicka has got some kind of special taste! lol

I have a vendor table on Sunday and the only prep work I've done is to bake the cake I need to carve. Tomorrow is gonna be a long day!

catlharper Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 5:18am
post #8 of 16

The hardest cake to make is the one that you didn't design...I give you mad props for that! LOL! Hopefully she will be SO happy with it!

Cat

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 5:33am
post #9 of 16

Oh, she is over the moon about it! Everyone else just says, "umm hmmm" and changes the topic. lol

She wasn't expecting a cake at because her father told her he couldn't afford cake and ice cream, much less a party this year. Hello???? Her auntie makes cakes! We'll have none of that, even if the cake design can only truly be appreciated by her fellow 12 year old girlfriends. icon_smile.gif

How's everyone else coming along? Any kitchen gremlins that need shown the door?

catlharper Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 5:56am
post #10 of 16

OMG...ROFL...thanx for the laugh...I needed that!

Cat

catlharper Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 6:03am
post #11 of 16

Well, I'm outta here for tonight. I'll drop back in tomorrow after the party! Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend and that I come back to find more photos of this weeks cakes!

Cat

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 6:47am
post #12 of 16

Hi all burning the Midnight Sugar, I sort of had a week off this week , I did have to teach ,we did cherry blossoms . So was able to introduce a few new techniques to my students. I find cherry blossoms a good starting point for wiring flowers together , getting a feel of where to place things and buds so a spray looks realistic.

I have been working on the designs for my cakes for our local show I think I have them just about sorted and half the flowers are now done for them.

We had our cake club's AGM as well this week , I am now the new secretary for the branch , I am not quite sure how that happened but I guess someone has to do it. I seem to still be in control of the workshops as I have a couple of new girls that have taken over as co ordinators but still need me to stay on as a mentor.

Love the Beauty and the Beast cake Cat I am sure your grandy will be just thrilled with it.

Cheatize , that's what being an Aunty is all about .

Jenniffer that bonsai cake is just mad, I love it. Good luck with the comp.

heynannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heynannie Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 7:34am
post #13 of 16

Hello everyone...My first time posting on cake club...well I'm workin on my first Mallard duck cake...or I should say it as been trying to work on me..... Whooo Weee ! After loosing its head a few times I have learned :as a new "caker" that cereal cement...aka...RKT is my friend...Hope to post a pic.when finished....Wish me duck...errr I mean LUCK.....
GOD BLESS<333><

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 9:47am
post #14 of 16

Mid morning Saturday here in Zim. I slept around 1am and woke up just after 6am. Am exhausted! I was working on a crocodile wedding cake. U heard me right. One mum and four babies. Maybe its because it's the groom who organised the cake LOL! I never saw or spoke to the bride at all! Delivered and set up. I found out when I got there that the table was smaller than expected for the kind of setup I was visualising so just did the best I could. Will post photo Monday as I am using my phone now. I will rest a bit then onto marzipaning 1st September 7 tier fruit wedding cake and dust 60 calla lilies of same. Will also bake sleeping Beauty cake due Monday.

rosech Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 12:33pm
post #15 of 16

Beautiful B&B cake BTW Cat. May I have your chiffon cake recipe if u r ok with it? My chiffon cakes cannot hold fondant weight.

rosech Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 12:34pm
post #16 of 16

Beautiful B&B cake BTW Cat. May I have your chiffon cake recipe if u r ok with it? My chiffon cakes cannot hold fondant weight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%