Copying Cake Photos Without Permission

Business By addietx Updated 23 Aug 2012 , 10:17pm by SSN_sweets

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 18

I suspect that a local bakery is using cake photos that are not her work. She has these cakes tagged as her own on her website. How would I find the original baker?

17 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 18

What I have done previously is just save the photo to my desktop, then do a Google Image search. You can actually put an image into the search box (click on the camera icon) and then search that way. It may not tell you who the original baker is, but you can see if the photo has been posted in other places. My treasure map cake was jacked by some Russian cake company-that's how I found out. LOL.

MissMona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMona Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 18

Annie, I had NO IDEA you could do this! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

AnnieCahill Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 18

I learned about it from here. Every few months there is a breakout of photo "stealing." Several months ago I looked at a few of mine and saw the treasure map one was stolen. However, I just tried searching again and it looks like that site was taken down.

AnnieCahill Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 18

I stand corrected. The site is still out there, and my cake is still on their site with their watermark. But this time when I did the Google image search it didn't bring up their website. Maybe it doesn't work anymore.

Mine is center, third row from the bottom:

http://www.magic-cake.ru/cakes.php?dir_to=children

addietx Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 18

Annie,
I went to Google.com, clicked on image at the top, dragged the picture off my desktop and inserted into the search bar. The address that printed in the search bar had my desktop info, so I deleted that part and the result was unsuccessful. Am I not doing something right? That sure would be a great way to search if it worked.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 18

Go to Google Images here: https://www.google.com/imghp
Click the camera icon, then upload an image.

addietx Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 18

Oh thanks Annie and Jacob. I clicked on the camera icon then uploaded the photo from my desktop. The search was still unsuccessful though. I guess I am just being overly suspicious.

addietx Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 18

Sorry Jason for calling you Jacob.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I learned about it from here. Every few months there is a breakout of photo "stealing." Several months ago I looked at a few of mine and saw the treasure map one was stolen. However, I just tried searching again and it looks like that site was taken down.

It might have been blocked by google if someone complained and they wouldn't take the photos off. Not that it's what happened in this case, I don't know, but I've had sites blocked before for copyright violations. They juat won't show up in google's search results.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 18

Annie, I just went to the site and saw your lovely treasure map cake, (crowded amongst the innumerable copyrighted characters---- who are they to honor a copyright anyway?!) I do believe they must find a lot of material here on CC, for I think I saw a few that I've seen posted here before. It is funny to see a Russian site and see so much written on the cakes in English. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jan

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 18

Wow I'm floored. I had no idea stuff like this went on in the cake world. I guess I should not be surprised. Annie beautiful cake. Sorry they stole your work and claimed it as their own.

costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecraving

Wow I'm floored. I had no idea stuff like this went on in the cake world. I guess I should not be surprised. Annie beautiful cake. Sorry they stole your work and claimed it as their own.

Ive had people steal photos from my website with my watermark and put it on their sites. I've also had people steal entire pages of text from my site, then claim that they "see some similarities" when i tell them to remove it. People are stupid.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 4:58am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Wow...and here I thought my photos had never been stolen but lo and behold...they have...and multiple ones at that, by the same no-talent low-life.

costumeczar Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 11:42am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:

Wow...and here I thought my photos had never been stolen but lo and behold...they have...and multiple ones at that, by the same no-talent low-life.

Want my copy of the DMCA takedown request? Sounds like you could use it icon_wink.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Quote:

Want my copy of the DMCA takedown request? Sounds like you could use it icon_wink.gif

I'd love a copy of your DMCA takedown request! Thank you! icon_smile.gif I'll PM you with my email addy.

costumeczar Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 9:05pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Quote:

I'd love a copy of your DMCA takedown request! Thank you! icon_smile.gif I'll PM you with my email addy.

Email the person who took your photos first and tell them to take them down! I'll send you the request but you'll need to check to see that you're sending it to the right person if they don't take your photos down.

SSN_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSN_sweets Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 10:17pm
post #18 of 18

Was reading your posts and was curious so went on to do a search and found this on another Russian site I think. I wasn't asked whether my photo could be used ( Mine is the Peach coloured smocked cake with stitched flowers). My name is still on the photo but they have watermarked it also with their name!!!. I don't understand russian so tried to translate the page and Google wouldn't do it, it comes up with an error. They have made it look like I have used their technique or bought their tools to do the cake which I didn't!!. At least that's what I understood. It looks like it is on a forum so don't know whether it is alright???

http://www.lovelytutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7191&langid=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%