Ruffle Cake. How Do I Do This?!?!?!?!

Decorating By ShakinBakin Updated 18 Aug 2012 , 5:38pm by ShakinBakin

ShakinBakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShakinBakin Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 2:05am
post #1 of 11

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to make the ruffles for this cake. And also how to make them stay on the cake? I am gonna attempt this for my daughters 15th next week! Thank you!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2384829/ruffle-cake

10 replies
eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 2:39am
post #2 of 11

Hi there! I don't know how these ruffles were done, but to me it looks like circle fondant ruffled at the edges, pinched together at the center and maybe attached with toothpicks. At least this is who I would try to make them, you should do a trial and see if this works. Good luck!!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 2:41am
post #3 of 11

What she said ^^^^^^

You could send a pm to the baker who made that one and ask politely.

wendyladyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendyladyof3 Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 11

Hi, I love the ruffle look too! Another baker posted a wonderful picture and she included some instructions in the comment area icon_biggrin.gif
I'm new to the forums..I hope this link works...
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2383863/dora-inspired-ruffle-cake

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 11

All you do is cut out a bunch of fondant/gumpaste circles and pinch in the middle to get the ruffle look.

ShakinBakin Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you everyone! Wendyladyof3, that is the exact cake that made me want to try this! I did comment on the thread because I just dont see how the ruffles stayed without using toothpicks or something so I was hoping for some sort of technique or helpful hint. I'll just have to give it a go myself. I'll post pics if it works out icon_smile.gif

wendyladyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendyladyof3 Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 11

What a coincidence! I really liked that cake too and added it to my favorites right away! I guess if she rolled the fondant really thin it would 'lighten' it up..I haven't worked with italian BC, but maybe frosting with a ganache might hold it (cause it can dry harder??) I'm not too savvy with cake making quite yet lol But I LOVED that cake icon_wink.gif

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 11

I did a cake similar to both once...
I covered it in a very thin layer of fondant over the buttercream... wasn't too concerned with smoothness or small rips since no one would see it...
then I attched the ruffles with a bit of melted candy melt... I would imagine you could use gum glue or melted chocolate as well... it was just what I had on hand...

ShakinBakin Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 12:20am
post #9 of 11

@AAtKT I think I will try the melted candy melts. I have gum glue but your way sounds like it'll hold better. Thanks for your idea. I really was concerned about the ruffles not holding on to the BC icing properly. I Hope it works! I'm doin it on Sunday. Thanks!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 11

If you build them up from the bottom to the top, they'll suppport each other.

ShakinBakin Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 11

@custumeczar Duly noted, Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%