Question For Etsy Users

Decorating By Punkilicious Updated 23 Aug 2012 , 3:46am by scp1127

Punkilicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Punkilicious Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 2:04am
post #1 of 14

Good Evening Everyone!

I was curious about selling gumpaste/fondant/icing images on Etsy...
For those of you that sell these types of products on the Etsy website, do you have a lot of sales from this format? How are you protecting your merchandise from damage during shipping? I was looking at some of the gumpaste flowers that are available for purchase and their are some delicate flowers being shipped out!

Any thoughts on Etsy.com would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you~

13 replies
woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 14

I hate for you to think you are being ignored, but Etsy can be a sore point for people who actually create their own art.

I personally don't like the way they do business. Understand that you will be competing with a Chinese factory when you think it's some nice Grandma in Seattle. JMHO.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 2:25am
post #3 of 14

I love etsy. It's all about what you want. If etsy has it, look at the feedback and decide for yourself. I get so much for my business from there.

I'm getting ready to launch an etsy site for my other business and I have learned a lot from studying my competition and seeing how business is conducted in general in my category.

Make sure you market the items as inedible if you do not have an FDA license.

woozy Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 14

Etsy has a clear pattern of allowing mass-production factory sellers from offshore to sell items as "handmade", if it is to the financial gain of Etsy. They ban complainers.

Support real artists. Rebel against off-shoring jobs. Make your own country strong by encouraging production at home. Every tiny voice counts.

scp1127 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 3:01am
post #5 of 14

I believe in the world economy. You may not like it, but it is the way it is and it's not going back.

On most of the things I buy for my business, I converse with the artist for custom orders. If it is something I just want, I really don't care who made it.

Etsy is a business just like the rest of us and it is expected to maximize profits. If you don't like it, start something similar yourself, but don't complain about a for-profit business. They don't answer to anyone.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 3:07am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy

Etsy has a clear pattern of allowing mass-production factory sellers from offshore to sell items as "handmade", if it is to the financial gain of Etsy.

People in foreign countries who work for large companies still have hands.

woozy Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 6:21am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

They don't answer to anyone.

Tell that one to the judge. Every business has legal obligations. You can't sell a dress as handmade in the US or UK that is made in China and sold in 10,000 increments on Alibaba. Etsy has legal obligations to their store-owners..

As for everything being handmade that is produced by people with hands..
ummm ...see ya later, I've had my dose of duh for the day...even though that is pretty trollie funny.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy

You can't sell a dress as handmade in the US or UK that is made in China.

That's a different story, if an item made in China is listed as made in the USA that's just wrong.

Etsy does disallow mass-produced items in the handmade categories.
http://www.etsy.com/help/article/483#listings

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 14

"People in foreign countries who work for large companies still have hands."

Did I do that right? Never quoted anyone....but I dont care who you are - that's funny.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 14

All this talk of Etsy, and I gotta drop a link to one of my favorite sites, Regretsy! www.regretsy.com

woozy Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 4:29am
post #11 of 14

Regretsy is stinkin hilarious. Their reason for existence (as you can tell by the name) is to rip Etsy.

My personal favorite is "Glamorgate". Glamour magazine featured....well, let me just show you: http://www.regretsy.com/2011/03/02/boy-is-my-face-red/

Be sure to go to the "Not Remotely Handmade" link and look at the pocketwatches. OMG.

Etsy pretends to make an effort to control it, but in the end, they do whatever scam makes them the most money.

They do have hands, though.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 5:57am
post #12 of 14

It's so scandalous...and delicious to read.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 14

To respond to the OP, I sell a lot of gumpaste on Etsy, so if you want to PM me feel free.

Etsy will take offending shops off, but they have to be reported. It's not just a handmade venue, though, they also have a supplies section for people who are selling things to make other things. The rules in that category are pretty vague, so some resellers would be able to exist in that category within Etsy's rules.

As far as clothing goes, there are rules about how you can label things. "Handmade" is one thing and includes the use of machines, and "made by hand" is something different. That's been controversial for much longer than Etsy has been around, especially for sweaters. I used to do a lot of knitting and the machine-knit vs. hand-knit controversy has raged for years.

I've been increasing my Etsy business steadily since starting my shop last year, and I have no problems with how they're set up. They allow you to increase your market reach tremendously...In fact, I have to go to the post office today to mail something to Australia, so there's one client I wouldn't have had otherwise!

scp1127 Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 3:46am
post #14 of 14

Boycott Etsy if you want, that's up to you. But they won't miss you.

Look at the solds and the feedback. That is a great indicator of what is selling, or what people are looking for. Everything I have bought has been top quailty by an individual. I also get a lot of inspiration from the site and use it as an indicator for what people are buying for my other business. I have even found sellers who will wholesale to me for my store. I think it's a great site. You can get out of it what you want if you take the time to look.

If you can't figure out what is handmade and what is not, I don't know how to answer that. It's actually fairly easy. The main issue is if they have something you want, buy it. If you don't believe in a global economy, don't buy it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%