Help! I Dont Want To Be Known As The Cheap Cake Lady!

Decorating By kazita Updated 15 Aug 2012 , 7:11pm by SoFloGuy

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 4:03pm
post #61 of 66

DARN! Jason! You just had to show up before I could post! icon_lol.gif
EDIT: It looks like you posted while I was typing up my post icon_lol.gif

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 4:08pm
post #62 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea

It took us 4 pages to bring this up? This stuff usually gets knocked out in the first page or so. CCers come on, you folks are becoming soft! icon_twisted.gif

*Runs off to go find Jason icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif *

Ha! Well I wasn't going to bring it up, because I wasn't sure if she was baking from a rented kitchen or not. But....now we know.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 4:35pm
post #63 of 66

Wisconsin is an interesting case, I've always seen references to WI having a CFL (including on home baking sites) but this is the first time I've looked into it in enough detail to find out that it doesn't cover baked goods.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 4:49pm
post #64 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita

Bluehue, it was the other post that upset me saying that i was fake posting and that i must have alot of time on my hands . I have now sat down figured out all what goes into making just one cake, much less 3 and cupcakes. I am going to give this woman an invoice stating how much the cake and cupcakes actually cost and show her that i lost money on the deal so if she thinks she will be calling me again for a cheap cake she will be wrong. I wouldn't show here anything - the women has achieved exactely what she set out to achieve - deliver the cakes - then walk away - Don't fuss over her for a minute longer. Some may say "explain your costs and time" to her - It is a bitter pill you have to swallow, and a hard lesson learnt.... The sun will come up the next day and wheN it does, sit down - find your self worth and stand by it with all future orders....so you won't let anyone treat you this way again. I do have a question, how much do you all charge for your labor? Thatd the only thing i havent figured in . Im am a hobby baker and work from home . I have seen post on here that state that the cake takes twice as long as you think it will, i agree with that statement. Oh and this lady posted on facebook for all to see that they would be eating at 1 and having cake at 2 , really she didnt even tell me to be there until 2:30 .i perfer to not set up the cake in front of everyone so i guessing ill be out there way early

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 6:38pm
post #65 of 66

Doing things properly according to law for home bakers and store front bakers is priority. But, also important...especially as a small operation is to cover yourself.

I don't even entertain ANY size order with out a good faith payment. I have established relationships with certain people and they can pay when goods are delivered. But, in the mainstream...get your dollars before any ingredients are purchased. Especially in questionable circumstances like these.

Oh boy - I hope things turn out smoothly for you. Try not to get in your own way here. There is a normal standard of worth you should have. Try to be nice when you explain that this is a one time price for her. It seems you're now realizing that you're being taken advantage of. It'll only make it worse to bite her head off when you deliver the cake. If you continue with the order...maybe try to approach it like you did a nice thing helping somebody provide a great cake for fun occassion. But, boundaries! Write up that invoice and say...Okay...here's your cake, I set it up for you. I'm glad to have been a part of your day. Now, here's your invoice. Unfold it in front of her...and say, here's the regular price...and here's your one time discount listed. So, next time you'll know how much I regularly charge and perhaps you can save up.

Smile..."have a great party!" And, leave. Go home and be glad to be done!

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 7:11pm
post #66 of 66

It's better to be known as the Cheap Cake Lady than the Stupid Cake Lady.

It's easier to explain that your cakes aren't cheap than it is to explain why you aren't stupid. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%