Small White Details On Black Fondant...?

Decorating By Spills Updated 12 Aug 2012 , 3:26am by cupadeecakes

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 2

Hello fellow CC'ers. I've been asked to recreate a 1969 Dodge Charger General Lee car for a friend - her boyfriend just bought his very own and it's his birthday coming up. Now she mentioned to me - less cake with more detail. She's all about the details of his car - she must have given me about 30 different pictures of this car to work from. I think I'm going to do okay, but there is one issue that I can't seem to wrap my head around:
This person belongs to a car club and the logo is on the back window of the car - I figured I'd just black the windows out, but the logo/writing is white. How do I do such small detail in white on black fondant? I have done this before with buttercream and it just soaks up the black. Would royal icing be my best bet? (I believe an edible image would work best, but since I don't have my own printer I'd have to go into a bakery to get it done, and I don't know sizing just yet nor do I know if they'd actually print it since it's a logo).
Any help and advice would be appreciated - this is going to be the biggest cake I've done to date - big in regards to time consuming icon_smile.gif I just hope it looks like a General Lee! haha

1 reply
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 3:26am
post #2 of 2

Yeah, an edible image would probably work best, but it seems its not an option to you. If you haven't done a car cake before, I HIGHLY recommend Mike McCarey's Cakenology Vol 1 - Car Cakes videos. He walks you through the process of making almost any car - it really helped me a lot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%