Help With Icing Smiles Email

Business By traci_doodle Updated 11 Aug 2012 , 9:16pm by step0nmi

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 6

I got my first "call to action" for Icing Smiles. I'm excited to make a cake for someone in need. However, I need to send an email to the recipient's mom, and I'm not sure how to word it.

Here's the situation: I got the "call" 3 days ago. The Icing Smiles coordinator sent out an email to both of us after I agreed to do the cake, asking for the mom to send the specifics. She sent her reply an hour later, answering the volunteer's questions about cake flavor and theme, etc. She also said she could pick up the cake, and gave two dates--the 24th and 25th of August. It was unclear to me if she wanted to actually pick it up a day early, or if she was just giving me an extra day in case that was more convenient for me. So, I emailed her back and asked more specifics about the cake design and pickup date. But, it's been 3 days, and she still hasn't replied.

I want to email her and make sure she still wants the cake. It would also be nice to get the specifics I requested (they weren't that specific, just clarifying the kid's preference on something). How can I word this email? I don't know why she hasn't emailed me back. I don't know if for some reason it went to spam, or if she decided she doesn't want a cake from me after all, or what. But this cake is going to very labor intensive, and I don't get a lot of time each day, so I really need to start working. How can I word this without sounding rude?

5 replies
lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

I'd preface it with, "I know you have so much on your plate right now, but if you could take a second to answer a couple of quick questions I can make sure Child's Icing Smiles cake is exactly what you want"

Make your questions quick and to the point with easy answers, and try not to split hairs ('would you prefer whipped raspberry mousse filling or Raspberry buttercream filling?'--she probably doesn't much care)

You can also sum up the cake order (flavor, design, delivery info) to the best of your guestimations and give her an option of saying Yes or to make changes on what you presented.

I did an icing smiles 1st birthday cake for a little girl who had not been out of the hospital for the entire first year of her life. Her mother basically lived in the hospital with her. Cake details were the farthest thing from her mind. (then again, I had another IC cake where the child getting the cake was wildly running around with 20 other kids in a bounce house at the park...i guess it just depends on the situation as to what the parent's preoccupation is. )

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 12:17am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Quote:

I'd preface it with, "I know you have so much on your plate right now, but if you could take a second to answer a couple of quick questions I can make sure Child's Icing Smiles cake is exactly what you want"

I like that! Thanks for the tips. That helps a lot! I don't think I'm the best with words sometimes, so it's great to have a starting point. icon_smile.gif

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 12:15pm
post #4 of 6

I had problems getting a response from my Icing Smiles parent too. I'm sure they have a lot going on. After 2 unanswered e-mails I e-mailed my contact at Icing Smiles (Rose at the time) and somehow she got the parent to respond.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 6

They got the response becuase they called the parent and told them to respond to get a cake.

Next time ask for a phone number if it;s allowed.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 6

as an icing smiles rep...please reach out to your rep and/or see if you can get a phone number for the parent from the rep. we have everything listed on our spreadsheets to help ourselves and the bakers out icon_smile.gif no one will be left un-helped and that's what your rep is there for! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for being one of our volunteers Traci! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%