? For All The Buttercream Wedding Cakers

Decorating By lovinspoonfull Updated 11 Aug 2012 , 10:05pm by kakeladi

lovinspoonfull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinspoonfull Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 5

I prefer to use buttercream on my cakes. It is what I have learned to use, and what I like to eat! I use ABC, and SMBC. My favorite is the Swiss. It is just so delicious and silky looking. If I were to get a booth at a bridal show, how would I showcase the SMBC? Will it hold up on a dummy for any length of time? I know I could use a crusting BC, but it does not have that beautiful sheen that SMBC has. Has anyone used SMBC on dummies if even just for a few days?

4 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 1:44am
post #2 of 5

Yes you can use butter cream on display cakes. You have to obviously handle it with great care as you would if it was cake under the butter cream. Try to keep it cold, avoid heat, etc... It will hold up for a couple of days, yellowing as the butter gets warmer.

There is 'perma ice' that simulates butter cream for display cakes. If you thin it and give it a hint of yellow, it can look like real buttercream.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 2:10am
post #3 of 5

It''s a lot easier to decorate the dummies in fondant and just put a sign up that you do buttercream because trying to keep the cake cold during a show, keeping brides fingers out of the buttercream (they always ask if they can touch the demo cakes), and keeping the icing on the cake during travel, just isn't worth it. You can lead them to your web site where you have several buttercream cakes displayed and promise them buttercream samples during their taste test.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 5

For a single day event, why bother with a dummy?

Run a raffle for the display cake from all the names/addresses that you collect. Bonus for you is a plie of names and addresses.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 5

.......Run a raffle for the display cake from all the names/addresses ........

Great idea!! Make a couple of small 2 tier cakes and have pix of others - especially bigger ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%