Working With Fresh Fruit Between Layers

Decorating By aundrea Updated 11 Aug 2012 , 8:03pm by BakingIrene

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 6

hello,
i will be making a cake this weekend. the cake will be half sheet vanilla with fresh strawberries and peaches between the layer. and vanilla bc.
i dont like fruit with my cake so im not a fan of fresh fruit in cake.
(im making this for a friend of my daughter)
what is the best way to keep the cake from getting soggy from the fresh fruit.
i will use a firm damn and seal it well so im not too worried about leakage or blowout (keeping my fingers crossed!)
the cake will be chilled until the party. but im worried about it getting soggy and nasty.....sorry fruit with cake makes no sense to me!!!!! haha
TIA

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 6

This is a nice combo for some of us.

Make up a solution of FruitFresh or a crushed vitamin c tablet in water to dip the peach slices to keep them from getting brown.

Slice the fruit as uniformly as possible so that the cake will slice nicely.

Use a thin layer of buttercream on both sides of the fruit layer to keep the cake fresh.

lovinspoonfull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinspoonfull Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 6

What BakingIrene said! I make cakes filled with fresh fruit all the time at my day job, and have never had an issue if you do it just like she said.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 4:09am
post #4 of 6

thank you for your help. unfortunately my internet was down and im just now getting your suggestions. i dont have a vitamin c tablet and have no idea what fruitfresh is.
since its late here.........and i need to get these stacked so they can settle to decorate tomorrow.
any other suggestions?????
honestly i never thought of the peaches turning brown. i was more worried about the fruit becoming soggy into the cake.
so now i have another issue to tackle.
i guess i stand alone on not liking fruit with my cake. haha.
TIA

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 5:46am
post #5 of 6

Just a suggestion about the peaches. I boil them briefly in a little sugar water. Not only does it soften them to any texture you choose, it will stop the discoloration and keep them a longer time. You don't need much time in the water. This quick boil also helps with harder varieties and one that may not be soft enough yet.

To soften naturally, leave in a brown paper bag on the counter.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 6

I know this is late--I wasn't online for 2 days either.

Poaching the peach slices will work OK to keep them from getting brown. It will make the cake easier to cut.

Anyway, I have to say that a little peach juice soaking onto a cake makes it SUPER good if you like peaches. They don't give off enough juice to do anything more than make the cake really moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%