Urgent: A Question For Professional Scratch Bakers

Decorating By Annso Updated 9 Aug 2012 , 8:58am by Jennifer353

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 9

I found this simple vanilla cupcake recipe and wanted to make it chocolate.I was thinking of just adding some melted chocolate to the batter and replacing some of the baking powder with baking soda, would adding the chocolate make the cupcakes turn out dry? I was also thinking of using cake flour instead of all purpose.Is that a good idea? Thanks.

Recipe
3 C all purpose flour
11/2 tsp BPowder
3/4 tsp salt
11/2 sticks unsalted butter
11/2 C sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
11/4 Cmilk

8 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Annso, if you have never tried this recipe, I suggest that the first time you make it, don't change anything. That way you'll know if it's a good recipe. Or you could find a chocolate recipe instead of making changes to a vanilla cake. Have you ever tried the Hershey chocolate recipe that's printed on the package? It makes a nice moist cake. It's fast and simple, but needs a slight adjustment - use less water and reduce baking soda to 1 teaspoon.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 9

Everything MimiFix is correct. If you do in fact like the recipe and want to convert it to chocolate, you will want to remove some of the flour and replace it with cocoa and up the sugar by a little. Off the top of my head, I'd say 1/4c for the flour/cocoa swap and add a couple tablespoons of sugar. You should not need to mess with the leavening.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Hi Annso, if you have never tried this recipe, I suggest that the first time you make it, don't change anything. That way you'll know if it's a good recipe. Or you could find a chocolate recipe instead of making changes to a vanilla cake. Have you ever tried the Hershey chocolate recipe that's printed on the package? It makes a nice moist cake. It's fast and simple, but needs a slight adjustment - use less water and reduce baking soda to 1 teaspoon.

What is the reason for using less water and baking soda and what is the change in the cake quality? I know you are the queen of the science behind ingredients.

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 12:11am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Thanks so much for the advice, I have tried hershey's chocolate recipe but I did not have much luck.I really need to do these cupcakes tonight but I don't have any cocoa powder, I only have some Bakers semi sweet chocolate on hand, that's my reason for wanting to change the recipe around

MimiFix Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 12:43am
post #6 of 9

Annso, if you must make a chocolate cake tonight and only have solid chocolate, I suggest you go to allrecipes.com and search there. Look at the reviews to see how well the recipes work. Sorry I can't help more.

MimiFix Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 12:46am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl645

What is the reason for using less water and baking soda and what is the change in the cake quality? I know you are the queen of the science behind ingredients.

Im not a food scientist and not an expert. The secret, my friend, is to bake the same darn recipe over and over and over. The Hershey chocolate cake recipe was my bakerys chocolate cake. I liked that it was simple to mix, but it sometimes had inconsistent results. Through trial and error I learned that a little less liquid and less baking soda gave the cake stability. Its not as light as the original but it never fails.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 4:59am
post #8 of 9

I'm with Mimi too. My bakery's basic chocolate cake is the Hershey's. People love it. It's not odd or gourmet, just good cake. Adding solid chocolate is a whole new recipe. You can't exchange them or adjust just the flour, etc.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 8:58am
post #9 of 9

Not sure if this is late but could you just make chocolate chip cupcakes instead? If you make it as per the recipe you have but chop up some of the chocolate block and add it to the mixture that should work ok although obviously not give you actual chocolate cupcakes.

I wouldnt change the leavening either, is it with the melted chocolate you thought you would need to or some other reason? (Just curious)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%