Wedding Cake To Rarotonga- Aka Preventing Potential Disaster

Decorating By lizzyla Updated 6 Aug 2012 , 12:22am by Chellescakes

lizzyla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzyla Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 2

Wedding cake to Rarotonga
Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi, I am going to Raro next Monday for my daughters wedding on the following Friday. I have baked and frozen three tiers, two chocolate mud cake and a lemon cake. I would appreciate your ideas on a timeplan basically as to what you would think would be the best way to coat these with ganache and apply fondant icing for best results working in limited conditions in a hopefully, warm climate. I am conscious that it will be humid, I know I can store the cakes in the resorts chiller (not sure if I can use their kitchen for the decorating though so will just have to work with whatever air con we have in the rooms).
My intention so far is to take the cakes from the freezer onto the plane, they will defrost naturally over the next few hours and then get the first layer of ganache onto them later that day, (Monday), which will hopefully seal in the freshness of the cake??
Apply the second layer of ganache (ie, the touch up and levelling bit) on Tuesday, keeping the cakes in the chiller overnight again and then apply the fondant on Wednesday.
The decoration for the cakes is simple, just fondant hydrangea flowers (all made and dried already packed to go) which will tumble down the sides of the cake. Does this make sense? I can't see how I can make them here before I set off and still have cakes that would be nice and fresh by Friday, believe me, if I could I would have them all fondant covered and done before we left!!
Just one more question, getting the fondant hydrangea flowers to "stick"to the sides of the cakes, would I be able to use one of those tubes of Wilton ready made icing where you can just fit a nozzle to the tube? Just using a tiny dab of that behind the flower?
All suggestions will be well received, especially from those of you used to working with humidity! Cheers, Lyn

1 reply
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 12:22am
post #2 of 2

the mudcake will be fine , if it is ganached and fondanted before you leave , it won't need refrigeration either ,I assume you will have an airconed room you will not need to put it in the chiller there. In fact it will be better if you don't. That will only leave you the lemon cake to do.

I have eaten my mudcakes up to three weeks after they have been ganached and fondanted and never refrigerated and they have been lovely moist and delicious. Fresh mudcake is awful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%