My Sculpted Cakes Lean:/

Decorating By cakemeech201 Updated 7 Aug 2012 , 12:30am by sillywabbitz

cakemeech201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeech201 Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 9

I've noticed that some of the 3D cakes I carve end up leaning slightly to one side, sometimes it happens after they settle. Is it something I'm doing to cause this? Any tips to avoid it in the future?? I even use bubble tea straws as support inside the cake! icon_sad.gif

8 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 9

I don't do carved cakes but here's a hint that might work for you. Ice each tier and insert the straws then let it set over night in the fridge. In the morning - have a good look at the top of the cake - get eye level with it and see if any of the straws need to be re-adjusted. If the cake settles over night then you have a second opportunity to level it before puttin it together.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 9

The first thing that comes to mind is just to make sure you are treating it structurally like a tiered cake: board and dowels for every 4" vertical inches. That, coupled with keeping it chilled while you are working on it should keep it straight up.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 3:00am
post #4 of 9

Also buy a inexpensive level at the home improvement store and make sure your counter/table are level.

Is it always leaning the same way? Could it be omethng to do with your perspective as left handed or right handed?

cakemeech201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemeech201 Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 9

It seems to lean towards the back like I'm pushing on it or something and it's usually only the top portion of the cake! the bottom layers seem straight.. icon_sad.gif

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 9

Do you put one dowel through the entire thing? Perhaps that would help, in addition to the advice already offered.

sillywabbitz Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 6:46pm
post #7 of 9

Cakemeech,
Any chance you have pics? Seeing what type of designs and where the leaning occurs might help.

sillywabbitz Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 12:28am
post #8 of 9

This is photo is CakeMeech's cake that shows a bit of the lean. Her laptop is busted so I am posting it for her.
LL

sillywabbitz Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 12:30am
post #9 of 9

The only thing I can think of is did you add a cake board to on top to support the "roof" piece. The other thing would be next time to use a leveler and see if the square top piece is truly level.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%