Red Candy Is Driving Me Crazy

Sugar Work By dot79 Updated 17 Dec 2012 , 11:57pm by nzbellydancer

dot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dot79 Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 3

Coating some red velvet cake pops last night, I used the ck red cans melts and also white candy with red powdered colluding - to make it last longer, and boy was it thick & lumpy! No matter how many times I put it in the microwave it was still lumpy and not melt. By no means was it burnt! I added paramount crystals to it then it became too thin, so I added more candy melts. In the end the red velvet missed out this week because I was too frustrated, but it scares me as I have 170 red rose cake pops to do next week. Can anyone help me??? Am I just better off using the food coloring with white melts???

2 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 9:30am
post #2 of 3

I always have problems with the red melts too. But I add the paramount crystals and it helps. You probably added too much. Next time, try melting them using the double boiler method. it might help.

nzbellydancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nzbellydancer Posted 17 Dec 2012 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62 

I always have problems with the red melts too. But I add the paramount crystals and it helps. You probably added too much. Next time, try melting them using the double boiler method. it might help.

Fully agree - go with melting them in a double boiler - of bowl over pot of water (make sure it seals tight) as the microwave method may have too much moisture for the red melts if its ending up in a cookie dough texture rather then smooth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%