I Officially Hate Mmf!

Decorating By vgcea Updated 5 Aug 2012 , 7:32am by arlenej

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 8:54am
post #1 of 17

It's almost 4 am and here I am with a tension headache and a partially completed project. MMF is such a lousy PMSing skank! And it's right where it belongs: in the trash. Ughhh!! I'm never ever going to make this stuff ever again. A couple of days ago, it was a sticky mess, today a second batch is an unreliable crumbly mess.

I couldn't justify wasting perfectly good fondant on a dummy, hence the MMF, but I found my justification today. UUUGGGHHH! icon_mad.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Vent over.

16 replies
lisssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisssa Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 17

Offff, sorry about the mess. Let see what went wrong.
I think that the first time was sticky because it did not have enough sugar and the second time it had to much. You can repair that by adding a little crisco or fat or add more marshmallow.

I dont like MMF either so I changed my fondant

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 17

I stopped using MMF long ago. It kept giving me unreliable results, depended too much on humidity.
I was not worth my money and time invested.
I use Satin Ice on my dummies most of the time or if I have some already made, Jennifer Dontz's fondant.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 17

I hate MMF too icon_smile.gif I've made it and I found it was a lot of work and a pain in my a##. I've never made it again.

Sorry you are having such a stressful time with it. Throw it out and go have a nap. Caking shouldn't be so stressful. If I were you I'd have a Margarita and a sleep icon_smile.gif

Take Care

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 17

In the future, if you have one sticky batch and one dry batch knead the two together in manageable amounts. You will have two perfect batches. I have done this before and it works well and nothing is wasted.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 17

Another vote for despising MMF. That stuff is whack.

vgcea Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks for the support everyone.
I tried everything. I tried kneading shortening into it. Nope. Even added a bit of glycerin but that didn't help. After almost 40 minutes of kneading-- all the while calculating the cost of ready-made fondant and MFF in my head and the value of my achy arms-- I decided no way. What if this was for an order?

I'm hoping MFF isn't as temperamental. I've wanted to try FondArt so I might look into that too.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Another vote for despising MMF. That stuff is whack.

This indeed ^^. On a serious note, I'm always amazed that so many people still use it with success. Just never got it to work for me. While everyone loves the simplicity of ingredients and speed of making it, that MMF is a nightmare.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 3:25am
post #9 of 17

I love MMF. Had a really rough time with it for two years but finally, fondant became popular enough so that I could work with it on a steady basis and now I won't use anything else. LOVE it. I find that kneading in a certain way works best for me. When you knead (in general) you press down, fold and turn. But with MMF I press down and push away from me at the same time. This gets rid of any small balls of hardened powdered sugar. Don't give up, It's all in the technique.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 6:46am
post #10 of 17

I found one recipe that I really like and it has never failed me.
1/4 cup shortening
1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
4 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or clear vanilla
5 - 6 drops candy oil flavoring
2 pounds confectioners' sugar, divided
Add the marshmallows and water to a bowl and microwave until melted. Grease your mixing bowl and dough hook with shortening add melted marshmallows, half of the sugar and the shortening. Once the mixture starts to combine and remaining sugar and candy oil. Mix until combined and wrap in plastic wrap and leave at room temperature overnight or at least eight hours. I have even made half a batch with great results. I used to use one MMF that contained white chocolate but it tended to be sticky so I tried this recipe and have been happy ever since.

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 8:29am
post #11 of 17

I obt use it any more . Dealing ith readymade one much easie

vgcea Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 8:47pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks for the suggestions DeniseNH ans sweettreat101. This ship has sailed though. I used Rhonda's MMF and I have used it for a couple of months. Now that I think about it, each time has been a different experience. No consistency at all. I'm going to focus more on MFF, and ready-made for now. There's no room in my business for trying to make an inconsistent product work. I can't start working on an order not knowing what my fondant will do next. Caking is already challenging enough.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 17

mgcea,
Sorry for your midnight troubles! I'm fairly new to the whole fondant world, but in my newbie innocence (ignorance?) I made MacsMoms Butter cream Flavored Fondant in the recipe section and was pleasantly surprised when it was easy (even if messy) and worked perfectly! I've used it exclusively now except for when I need strong colors like black or red. I've probably made it 8 or 9 times and never been disappointed. Now if I could just learn how to make beautiful flowers and figures with it!!! icon_smile.gif

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 9:23pm
post #14 of 17

Ooops! I meant vgcea!

vgcea Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 12:43am
post #15 of 17

mgcea sounds good too icon_lol.gif maybe I'll make that my CC alter ego icon_lol.gif

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 4:46am
post #16 of 17

Ugh... it's the humidity??

I tried to cover a styrofoam round but the mmf was so... so... GOOEY! I don't know what the heck was going on, but it just stretched like a mofo. LUCKILY that round is going to be mostly roses so it will be hidden... I guess I'll be doing the other rounds on cooler mornings.

Today was quite scorching, though humidity is always extremely high here so...

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 7:32am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

In the future, if you have one sticky batch and one dry batch knead the two together in manageable amounts. You will have two perfect batches. I have done this before and it works well and nothing is wasted.

Seriously, this works.
BUT if you're not a MMF purist here's a recipe I found on Youtube that's yummy and not too much trouble: Melt a bag of marshmellows with 3Tbs water in increments in the microwave. Mix in icing sugar (1-2lbs) and 'knead like you've never kneaded before'. I admit, the first time I did it i totally didn't like the feel of it so it languished in my freezer for weeks. Then I decided to use it up to cover a board and was amazed . It tastes good, it rolls out nicely AND I added it to some homemade fondant and it changed the texture so it was like store-bought! Try it, you might like it....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%