Writing Third Book - Need Cover Photos And Title

Business By MimiFix Updated 29 Nov 2012 , 4:04am by MimiFix

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 24

Greetings everyone! Now it's my turn to ask for help. I'm finishing the manuscript for my last book. (Not going to write any more books!) It's a culinary memoir about facing a series of challenges that forced me to find a new career and new self-concept, and how I eventually discovered another world living within my former world.

The overarching theme is making lemonade when you have lemons. The front/back cover will have photos of lemon cookies, bars, cake, etc. I already have a few photos but still need a couple more - a cake photo, and a photo with cupcakes. The copyright page will give you credit and you hold the copyright. Once I submit photos, the graphic designer will crop, manipulate, etc, so the photos fit the book design. Please contact me directly if you have a photo youre willing to share. mimi at bakingfix dot com

Also, I'm deciding on a title. Im pretty sure it will be The (Faux) Pastry Chef. But I need a subtitle (which can be long or short).
The (Faux) Pastry Chef: How I Found My Baking Fix
The (Faux) Pastry Chef: If Life Gives You Lemons, Find Your Baking Fix
The (Faux) Pastry Chef: a story of re-invention, perseverance, and overcoming obstacles
The (Faux) Pastry Chef: Finding My Baking Fix
The (Faux) Pastry Chef Finds her Baking Fix

Thank you everyone, Mimi

23 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 24

I like "How I Found My Baking Fix", because it implies a solution. Like your book will take the reader through your journey and offer insights and solutions that the reader can apply to her hobby/business.

Wow, I hope I get one of the first copies. One of your books popped up on my suggestions on Amazon this week. I was impressed by all of the gold stars. Of course I already had it. You must be proud.

I think I need an advanced copy. I just hammered out the details on my retail business this morning with the landlord. If another bakery and mine don't compete, I will be looking at my first day on December 6... yes, thrown to the wolves in a super high traffic area at Christmas. Nothing like baptism by fire. You know I'll be in touch with you when I know more details. Hey, I don't need to make every mistake myself. I'm grateful for the knowledge of those who have been there. Susan

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:26am
post #3 of 24

Can you use pics that have already been posted on Cake Central or only new ones?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:56am
post #4 of 24

Well, I'm a publicity whore so you are welcome to any pics of my stuff if you want them. I don;t know if you are looking for yellow or lemon-themed stuff specifically.

Photos on website.

MimiFix Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 3:03am
post #5 of 24

Geez, Susan, opening a retail spot during the heavy crush of Christmas. If I lived closer Id come down to help. PM me anytime. And thank you for responding about my subtitle. Deadline is in two weeks and I'm having trouble deciding. But that's my favorite because of the double play with "baking fix."

cupncake1, it doesnt matter if your photo is on CC. As long as you hold the copyright. I looked through half of your photos - very nice! I'll look through the rest tomorrow.

Jennifer, your work is stunning! I looked through your photos but didnt see anything lemon. If you have something tucked away somewhere, please let me know. The product must have the appearance of being lemon.

Thank You, everyone

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 3:48am
post #6 of 24

Hurm. I have a lemon cake on there, 2nd down. http://www.beyondbuttercream.com/predesigned.html

MimiFix Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Hurm. I have a lemon cake on there, 2nd down.

... and that's what I get for staying up past my bedtime. Thank you, Jennifer. I'll email you.

Still looking for cupcakes...

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 24

I want to cast my vote for: The (Faux) Pastry Chef: How I Found My Baking Fix

Good Luck and I know your book will be great!

MimiFix Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 24

Thanks for voting, Terokesha... It helps me to hear people's opinions.

Thank you to those who sent me photos. I wish I could use all of them, everyone here is so talented! But (ahem) still need a photo of lemon cupcakes. Maybe even a lemon meringue pie, or lemon tarts. You keep the copyright and are given credit on the copyright page. (Plus I'll send you two book copies.)

And I am using Beyond Buttercream's cake. (Thanks Jennifer!) ... Cupcakes anyone?

scp1127 Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 6:16am
post #10 of 24

Mimi, I have a lemon meringue pie. Go to my site and put lemon in the search. You can have anything you want. I can send original photos. I didn't volunteer the first time because my lemon cupcakes are lemon meringue and the regular lemon are just normal looking. But you are welcome to them.

Opening in December is just the date the former lease is up and they don't want it vacant for Christmas. By December 1st is not negotiable. And I am probably walking into 10,000 people that weekend. I am assuming I will sell out. But fortunately, the shop will be filled with my antiques (from my other business). All of my products will be displayed on the antiques that are for sale. So when the products run out, hopefully the cappuccino machine, bulk gourmet coffee and the furniture will keep me in business.

Believe me, your book will be re-read this week and I will be emailing. Thanks, Susan

CupcakeMamaof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMamaof2 Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 6:38am
post #11 of 24

I have lemon cupcakes you are welcome to. Www.cupcakemama.me. Look at the gallery tab for lemon chiffon.

MimiFix Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeMamaof2

I have lemon cupcakes you are welcome to. Www.cupcakemama.me. Look at the gallery tab for lemon chiffon.

Do you have a 300 dpi photo of the lemon chiffon cupcakes? When you have a chance, please email me directly so I can give you details, mimi at BakingFix dot com

MimiFix Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupncake1

Can you use pics that have already been posted on Cake Central or only new ones?

cupncake, I like both your pink lemonade cupcakes and lemon curd cupcakes. Please email me directly mimi at BakingFix dot com

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 24

I vote for The (Faux) Pastry Chef: How I Found My Baking Fix. Excellent subtitle and sounds relatable to any baker. I would buy it. Let us know on CC when to look out for it on Amazon. What is the name of the book Mimi wrote that you have Susan? I'd like to find it on Amazon. I don't have any lemon photos but wish I did.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 12:52am
post #15 of 24

I vote for "The (Faux) Pastry Chef: How I Found My Baking Fix" as well. Sorry, no photos. Love your books.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 2:02am
post #16 of 24

I also vote for the first subtitle. I'm a little confused about the (Faux) in the main title though, is it a play on your last name?

Also, this is somewhat OT, but who are you using to publish and how has your experience been with them? Is there a reason you don't offer a direct sales option on your website (since Amazon takes such a huge cut)?

MimiFix Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 24

Thank you for voting, Jason. I have to make a final decision soon and feedback is very helpful.

Faux is a strong part of the storyline. Throughout I make fun of myself, the faux pastry chef. I never went to culinary school, learned everything on my own. My story begins when I switch jobs and become an executive pastry chef with a company that knew my background. But once on the job they got pretty testy. My book covers a ten year period where I stumble and stumble and then get back up. The story shows how I came to write Start & Run a Home-Based Food Business, Home Baking for Profit, and created BakingFix. As I wrote in my first post, it's about getting lemons and making lemonade. Or in our case, lemony baked goods, and all while keeping a sense of humor.

I'm using Fourth Estate Publishing - new, but so far so good. Amazon is great. They make payment and shipping easy. It's the publishers who hold the royalty key. If you are interested in writing/publishing a book, email me directly.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 4:51pm
post #18 of 24

Sounds like a great a narrative, should be an interesting book. Personally I think "self-made" or "self-taught" might reflect that narrative in the title and strike a chord with readers more than "faux".

I've done some research on publishing options for my own book (about running an allergy-friendly bakery, including recipes), it's on hold for the moment since I have other priorities but when I get around to it I plan to self-publish, probably with CreateSpace. The main issue I've found with Amazon is the discount off list required to sell there. I'll look into Fourth Estate too to see how they stack up.

MimiFix Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 5:05pm
post #19 of 24

Jason, thank you for your suggestions, greatly appreciated. I published my last book with CreateSpace. They are excellent to work with. I'm not sure what you mean about the Amazon discount list required to sell there. The publisher or (in the case of self-publishing) the author decides on the list price. Amazon places a discount on the books but the publisher and author payment does not decline so Amazon makes less when there is a discount. They make their profit on volume. (The Little Debbie products philosophy.) And I made a mistake, it's Twenty-Fourth Estate.

scp1127 Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 6:21pm
post #20 of 24

Mimi, Create Space is where I'm looking too. But before I jump, I will stay close in touch.

Jason, Your book sound very interesting. I will definitely be one to purchase a first copy. Although that is not my market, I wish I knew more. I occasionally kill myself to develop a recipe for a customer that has a slight irritation or it's just a preference (by choice, I love the challenge). But like I mentioned in that thread going on now, proper use of alternative products is the key. The products themselves are definitely odd tasting, but with the right recipe, they are as good as mainstream and are enjoyed just as much as the mainstream. I'm sure your insights will be valuable and the alternative bakery is so timely.

My husband has a huge patient base with alternative diets and one of his specialties is detecting and working with patients that have a gluten intolerance. He wants me to have some recipes available for these people to offer them alternatives in birthday cakes, etc. Again, this is only for the ones who can tolerate a traditional kitchen.

So please let me know when both of you get your books out. Mine is on the back burner, though written, until the retail is established. That culmination lends credibility to my information. Mine is a how-to for home bakers, but a twist. It will cover marketing, COGS, business plan, where to get the real stats, daily operations, and the big one that gets me so much flack, goodwill ... all as a bona fide business, not a cross-your-fingers-and-I-hope-it-works business. From there it will help the home baker (separate kitchen) maximize their potential to storefront, wholesale, manufacturing, and national (yes, shipping the right way). I will also have plenty for the CFL baker on how to stand out in the crowd and reach growth potential.[/i]

CupcakeMamaof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeMamaof2 Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 3:03am
post #21 of 24

Ok well, I need all of these books. I lost my job so I started a peanut free cupcake business out of my home and I'm in the process now of developing recipes to include more food allergy friendly products. I'm not much of a reader though so if you could all do audio books I could jam out to your knowledge while I bake!

MimiFix Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 2:04pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupncake1

cupncake, I like both your pink lemonade cupcakes and lemon curd cupcakes. Please email me directly mimi at BakingFix dot com

cupncake, you still there? I'm interested in your lemon curd cupcakes. Do you have a 300 dpi jpg?

cupncake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupncake1 Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 6:19pm
post #23 of 24

I will send you an email thumbs_up.gif

MimiFix Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:04am
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

I'm a self-taught pastry chef. Throughout my book I make fun of myself, the faux pastry chef. I never went to culinary school, learned everything on my own. My story begins when I switch jobs and become an executive pastry chef with a company that knew my background. But once on the job they got pretty testy. My book covers a ten year period where I stumble and stumble and then get back up. The story shows how I came to write Start & Run a Home-Based Food Business, Home Baking for Profit, and created BakingFix. As I wrote in my first post, it's about getting lemons and making lemonade. Or in our case, lemony baked goods, and all while keeping a sense of humor.

Greetings everyone! It's been four months since this thread started, my book is now published and available on Amazon... The (Faux) Pastry Chef: How I Found My Baking Fix. Thank you to everyone who helped me decide on a title and to the photo contributors. In my Acknowledgments, I thank all of my friends at CakeCentral! Visit my website (link below) to read more about all my books.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%