Extra Stiff Fondant For Cake Covering

Decorating By CatherineM Updated 6 Jan 2013 , 1:14pm by CatherineM

CatherineM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineM Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 8:34am
post #1 of 3

I've been thinking about adding a little extra CMC or Tylose to commercial fondant to make it a bit stiffer and hopefully more manageable for covering cakes. I'd like to be able to apply it in a thinner layer while still getting a good, smooth finish but don't want it to turn out like concrete! Has anyone tried this? Any advice much appreciated.

2 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 4:30am
post #2 of 3

I have done this in replace of gum paste to make figures but I would not suggest it for covering a cake. Your fondant will dry quicker and you will probably get a lot of cracking and will not get a smooth finish on your cake. Because of the quicker drying time you have less time to get it on your cake. It will not make it more managable.

CatherineM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineM Posted 6 Jan 2013 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your reply, kakedecorator!  Since my original post I've tried this and it has actually worked quite well.  The secret seems to be not to add too much, and the amount you need depends on the softness of the fondant you're starting with.  As a guideline, if I'm using SilverSpoon brand rollable cake icing (common here in the UK), I add 1 level teaspoon of Tylo powder per kg of icing. So long as I don't let it hang around for too long it stays workable and I've not had problems covering my cakes smoothly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%