Satin Ice Or Fondarific

Decorating By 907cakealicious Updated 2 Aug 2012 , 9:12pm by BlakesCakes

907cakealicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
907cakealicious Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 6:53am
post #1 of 5

I am having a hard time choosing which fondant to go with.... My mentor suggests FONDARIFIC... BUT i see that Buddy the "cake boss" uses Satin Ice.....

What do you prefer???

4 replies
SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 9:26am
post #2 of 5

I prefer fondarific, it's very pliable. In my experience, Satin Ice dries out to quickly & I get the dreaded elephant skin.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 5

Comparing these 2 types of fondant is like comparing apples to oranges.

Fondarific is a candy melt based fondant that requires very slight warming before kneading, doesn't need any shortening for rolling or kneading (but sticks to surfaces easily, so it needs some PS/CS), stays pliable for very long periods, can be healed with heat of your hand, and doesn't work for figures because gums don't get it to dry/firm up.

Satin Ice is "regular" fondant that needs a bit of shortening when kneading, can be easily rollled on a smear of vegetable shortening, needs to be covered if sitting out rolled for any length of time, stays pliable for much less time (so work quickly), in dry environments it will dry harder quicker, and can be used for figures by adding tylose, etc.

Fondarific is very beginner friendly. Satin Ice can be frustrating if you're slower at rolling & covering. A nice compromise (between use & price) can be mixing them together or mixing one or the other with 1/3rd Wilton fondant to improve workability.

Rae

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Comparing these 2 types of fondant is like comparing apples to oranges.

Fondarific is a candy melt based fondant that requires very slight warming before kneading, doesn't need any shortening for rolling or kneading (but sticks to surfaces easily, so it needs some PS/CS), stays pliable for very long periods, can be healed with heat of your hand, and doesn't work for figures because gums don't get it to dry/firm up.

is "regular" fondant that needs a bit of shortening when kneading, can be easily rollled on a smear of vegetable shortening, needs to be covered if sitting out rolled for any length of time, stays pliable for much less time (so work quickly), in dry environments it will dry harder quicker, and can be used for figures by adding tylose, etc.

Fondarific is very beginner friendly. can be frustrating if you're slower at rolling & covering. A nice compromise (between use & price) can be mixing them together or mixing one or the other with 1/3rd Wilton fondant to improve workability.

Rae

Is Fondarific recommended for use in warmer weather? I ask because I am considering these two like the OP and the candy melts/heat of your hand thing made me curious about warmer temperatures.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 5

Fondarific will definitely get softer and can deform at temps over 80F. The Satin Ice isn't prone to being heat affected.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%