New To Scratch Baking. Best White And Devils Food Recipes?

Baking By cakes4ck Updated 9 Sep 2012 , 8:39pm by cakes4ck

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 3:18am
post #1 of 11

I have made cakes for 8 years and love the consistency I get with PB mixes. I also love how dense they are compared to other box mixes. I have looked at many recipes and so overwhelmed. I am a busy, busy mom and teacher and have limited baking time. Would like a scratch recipe for a white cake and also for a devil's food cake that I can modify for different flavors. I use PB for gourmet cupcakes and also stacked and carved cakes.
BTW, I HATE DH cake mixes. And have also tried WASC with DH before but customers didn't like it as well as the straight PB.
Appreciate suggestions or links from those with experience with scratch baking.
Thanks!

10 replies
Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 11

Bump!

cakes4ck Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 11

So no one has a basic white or devils food cake scratch recipe you trust and use? Any help is much appreciated!

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 11

I'm not sure if this would be what you're looking for but have you seen FromScratchSF's white cake recipe? Check it out on her blog. Google BeyondButtercream white cake recipe. If you're new to scratch baking she has alot of really great information on there about "the why's" of baking. Alot of people love this recipe. I've made it twice, once has peanut butter cake. I've been really happy with it and can't wait to make it into more flavors. Hope that helps you and good luck!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 11

The reason no one is probably answering is because you said you have no time to try out recipes, and the bottom line is people who have baked from scratch took A LOT of time to research and test out recipes. We are all busy and some of use have jobs, own business, AND have children to boot, but it is something you find the time to do.

On the other side, this is also a preference thing. I despise the hershey cake recipe, not to mention would never use hershey cocoa in my chocolate cake recipe. I prefer girhadelli's and calabaut for my choclate. So you see, even in a chocolate cake recipe, not everyone uses or likes the same type of chocolate, cause there are some people here who swear by that hershey recipe and only use hershey brand cocoa.

If scratch baking is what you want to do, it will take time and you will have to try several recipes with several types of chocolate to see what works for you and to find out what you like.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 11

By the way there are several threads on here commited to scratch baking with recipes tried and tested. There was the one for mud cakes, a chocolate scratch off, and a yellow cake scrtach off, and all that good stuff. Good luck.

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 11

I love Rose Levy's White Velvet Cake recipe. I get so many compliments on it. I am still looking for a great chocolate cake recipe. I do like the modified Hersheys which is on this site.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 2:35am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

The reason no one is probably answering is because you said you have no time to try out recipes, and the bottom line is people who have baked from scratch took A LOT of time to research and test out recipes. We are all busy and some of use have jobs, own business, AND have children to boot, but it is something you find the time to do. On the other side, this is also a preference thing. I despise the hershey cake recipe, not to mention would never use hershey cocoa in my chocolate cake recipe. I prefer girhadelli's and calabaut for my choclate. So you see, even in a chocolate cake recipe, not everyone uses or likes the same type of chocolate, cause there are some people here who swear by that hershey recipe and only use hershey brand cocoa.

If scratch baking is what you want to do, it will take time and you will have to try several recipes with several types of chocolate to see what works for you and to find out what you like.

Amen! Your post is 100% on point.

OP, even if anyone handed you a fool-proof scratch recipe, you're almost guranteed to have to bake it a couple of time to get it just right, and adjust it to your own specifications and circumstances (especially since you're transitioning from box cakes to scratch cakes which is a whole 'nother animal).

FromScratchSF's white cake has been recommended but more importantly, look at her instructions. Even the best scratch cake recipe will not hold up if made with poor technique.

chuchengchunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chuchengchunk Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 8:06am
post #9 of 11

once has peanut butter cake. I've been really happy with it and can't wait to make it into more flavors. Hope that helps you and good luck!Image

atudor4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atudor4 Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 1:55am
post #10 of 11

Ok here's the recipe we used in pastry school. Ive made it a few times and its excellent every. single. time. I've posted it on the forum before with a great review.

Choc Fudge Cake
Gran Sugar 1lb 12 oz
Cake Flour 1lb 4 1/2 oz
High Ratio Shortening 12 1/2 oz
Salt 1/2 oz
Baking Soda 3/4 oz
Cocoa Pulver (powder) 3 oz
Buttermilk #1 1lb 1/2 oz

Eggs whole 14 1/2 oz
Buttermilk #2 12 1/2 oz
Vanilla 3/4 oz

Mix 1st eight ingredients in mixer with paddle on speed 2 for approx 6 min or until smooth.
Blend the eggs, buttermilk #2 and vanilla; add to the creamed mixture in 3 parts, scraping well after each part.
350 degree oven til cake springs back.
i hope you try it and love it!!

cakes4ck Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks to those who responded. It isn't that I have NO TIME for baking...it is just limited. I plan on trying out different recipes. However, there are literally hundreds. Sure no one has time to try out that many recipes....lol. I have made some cakes from scratch like texas, carrot and german chocolate since a young girl.
I have searched here and online as well for recipes and have many saved that others like. But, this is a forum of other bakers/decorators to help each other out. I would rather hear from those that actually use these recipes than just reading random reviews online. I understand that everyone puts a lot of time into trials and errors and don't want to just hand something over to another. I'm just trying to narrow down some recipes. Some of my favorite recipes actually come from a book compiled of favorite recipes of ladies that lived near my grandmother who passed 10 years ago.
Thanks for the FromscratchSF. I have been on that site and found it quite helpful. I also have noticed many like Velvet cakes. Also, read the mixed reviews on the Hershey cake. I actually have a Hershey's cookbook. But, I agree I LOVE Ghiradelli chocolate!
Thanks again for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%