What's The Best Type/brand Of Colouring For Colouring Cakes?

Decorating By MaddieMoomin Updated 12 Aug 2012 , 9:27am by MaddieMoomin

MaddieMoomin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaddieMoomin Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 6

Hello! icon_smile.gif
I'm new to cakes and my brother and his wife to be are trusting me to make their wedding cake next year! icon_biggrin.gif

Their doing a white and royal blue theme and I'd really like to make a simple looking white cake with a royal blue sponge hiding inside! Seen as it's so far away, I'd like to get practicing so I can get it perfect for their special day! icon_smile.gif

Whenever I've tried making a coloured sponge, the mixture looks really vibrant and then as the cake bakes it seems to fade and the colours look pretty disappointing!

What I'd like to know is.. what type of colouring or which brand is best for colouring sponge and how much colouring is required and any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif xx

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 6

Royal blue isn't a particularly appetising colour for cake.

Maybe start with sieved blueberry filling and add the blue to that? It will still be edible.

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 6

I made blue velvet cupcakes once - I believe I used Wilton color for the batter. You might try that? The cupcakes were delicious...they did turn everyone's tongues blue, though. Pretty funny for 4-year-olds, not sure how that would be received at a wedding!

MaddieMoomin Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 6

Wow! I didn't even think about it turning mouths blue! :O haha!

And I know it wouldn't look very yummy, but I just thought it would be different, Just toying with a few ideas because I've got tons of time to experiment! icon_smile.gif

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 5:04am
post #5 of 6

As far as the blue tongues go, I'm not entirely sure the batter needed all the coloring the recipe called for. It did come out to a beautiful bright blue color, but if I were to make the same recipe again I would use less coloring next time, as I imagine it would still be blue enough for most! That might also help with the tongue-dyeing! icon_biggrin.gif

For the record, I think blue cake to match the wedding colors sounds super fun. It's not at all traditional, but it's the kind of thing I definitely would have tried at my own wedding if I'd thought of it...and if our colors included blue. icon_wink.gif I guess it's not for everyone, but if your brother (and his wife!) are up for something more unique like that, then I say go for it!

MaddieMoomin Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 9:27am
post #6 of 6

Ahhh! Well luckly I've got tons of time to play about and see what works and what doesnt icon_smile.gif

Thanks alot for your input! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%