Favorite Vanilla Cake Recipe?

Baking By coleslawcat Updated 5 Aug 2012 , 11:21pm by coleslawcat

coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 11

I have a vanilla cake I've been using for some time, but I've become dissatisfied with it over time. The flavor is fantastic, but it's just too dry to meet the standards of my other cakes. Lately, I've finding I direct people away from vanilla because I feel it's my weakest flavor. I do bake gluten free, but I have a lot of success converting regular recipes, so don't let that stop you from recommending your favorite vanilla cake. I tried looking through the saved recipes, but many of them have no reviews. Also, I bake from scratch since I do gluten free so please no modified box recipes.

10 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 11

GF sfarches and flours are "dryer" than plain wheat flour. A change can make a recipe produce a product that is dry in comparison to previous cakes ... Re-balancing the moisture content may fix the problem

1. are you using a commercial GF flour blend? has the manufacturer's formula changed? have you changed from one brand to another?
2. do you mix your own? have you changed your mix? has your brand changed it's source on any of the flours.

Things to think of before you ditch a recipe that has held you in good stead ..

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 11

If auzzi's post didn't help you find and fix your problem, you might want to try the white/vanilla cake recipe from fromscratchsf. She posted a wonderful, 3-part blog on white cakes on her beyond buttercream blog site. It is a fabulous recipe that I use all the time since she posted it. I'd bet it could be modified to fit your GF requirement. Take a look at it and see what you think. Knowing her, she'll give you whatever information she can provide...she's just that kind of person. I don't know if she's experienced in GF recipes or not, but she'll let you know. Best of luck to you in your search.

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 2:20am
post #4 of 11

I tried the one from the blog, got it to come out last week for 2 sheet cakes, and this week, I have baked 6 8inch cakes all to have fallen. A 9x13 cake out semi ok, and a 12 x18 also fell in the middle. I was hoping that recipe would be my keeper, because the one that did come out good tasted fabulous!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 2:36am
post #5 of 11

I was going to suggest FromScratchSF's recipe as well. I love her recipe. The only time I was dissatisfied when I used all yolks. I totally prefer her recipe when it's all egg whites. And I have 3" pans. I know that others have had problems with 3" pans and gettng any height. She recommends baking at 325F and I've started to fill may pans so I get a 2" high layer, not a 3".

I saw that you posted your problems with the recipe on the blog for Jen to see, but I don't think you mentioned being GF in you descriptions. Did you modify her recipe to be GF?

coleslawcat Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

GF sfarches and flours are "dryer" than plain wheat flour. A change can make a recipe produce a product that is dry in comparison to previous cakes ... Re-balancing the moisture content may fix the problem

1. are you using a commercial GF flour blend? has the manufacturer's formula changed? have you changed from one brand to another?
2. do you mix your own? have you changed your mix? has your brand changed it's source on any of the flours.

Things to think of before you ditch a recipe that has held you in good stead ..

Thanks for the ideas, though I'm pretty sure these aren't the issue in my case. I haven't changed anything and my non vanilla recipes are very moist using the same blend I use for the vanilla cake. Last weekend I made vanilla cake and chocolate cupcakes for the same event and the difference was drastic and they came from the same batch of flour, so I'm sure it has to do with my recipe.

I will test of the recipe on FromScratchSF's blog and see how it turns out.

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone!

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 11

I recently tested several vanilla recipes and several yellow cake recipes; From Scratch SF was by far the standoud.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 11

I use FromScratchSF's vanilla cake too. I've been converted from Sylvia Weinstock. I use the all egg yolk mix so I can use the white's for IMBC. I don't know if it is an error or not on her recipe but it calls for 6oz of egg yolks which is about 9 -10 eggs separated. I use 6 egg yolks rather than the 6oz and my cakes come out perfectly.

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 11

LisaPeps:

Are you measuring the egg yolks by weight or volume? For FromScratchSF's recipe, the egg yolks should be weighed.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 11

I weigh them on electronic scales. And 6oz was about 10 UK egg yolks... I just went with the 6 yolks instead and always get perfect results regardless.

coleslawcat Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 11

Can someone post a link to this recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%