How Do I Keep The Fondant From Getting Rock Hard

Decorating By SugarRush239 Updated 9 Aug 2012 , 3:38pm by BakingIrene

SugarRush239 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarRush239 Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making 3D fondant figures. I've made them before but they do turn out rock hard, which has been okay because most people keep them. However, this request is for cake and cupcake toppers for a kids birthday so they want them to be edible. How do I make the figures hard enough to mold and keep their shape yet soft enough to be eaten by a 4 year old? I usually use MMF which I make myself. This blog is great and always has answers to my questions. Can't wait to hear from you all! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 9

Are you talking about fondant mixed with tylose? Because I've never seen fondant dry rock hard unless its been left for more than a week, and even then to say it is rock hard would be a stretch.

SugarRush239 Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 9

@cakeyouverymuch It's homemade marshmallow fondant, I don't mix it with tylose. I want to make edible decorations for the cupcakes as well. How do I keep them chewy? Thanks for your help! icon_smile.gif

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 9

The fondant is going to dry if exposed to the air, and there's really nothing you can do about that. But it never stops my kids from eating the stuff. icon_wink.gif I wouldn't worry about it.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 9

In those cases I use modeling chocolate. It stays rather soft

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 3:00am
post #6 of 9

Or isn't there a fondant out there that really doesn't dry? FondX or Fondarific?

SugarRush239 Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the help! I think I'm going to keep the figures wrapped until the day of the party. thumbs_up.gif

Flutterbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flutterbug Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 9

Keep them in plastic in the fridge, that should help

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 9

Add 2 tablespoons food grade glycerine per 2 lbs icing sugar. Use a brand like Wilton or LorAnn if available. This will slow down the drying. DO NOT add tylose or karaya or tragacanth if you are making it at home

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%