Corn Starch Or Powdered Sugar?

Decorating By kariz0201 Updated 29 Jul 2012 , 5:09am by FromScratchSF

kariz0201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kariz0201 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 10

I always use powered sugar to work with fondant, but I just saw a youtube video that said "use corn starch not powdered sugar".

Which do you prefer? If you prefer corn starch, does it change the taste of the fondant?

Thanks!

9 replies
Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 10

If I am working with homemade fondant I tend to use powdered sugar since the product is a little softer, and it has the potential to firm it up a bit if I need to. If I am working with commercial fondant I use cornstarch because it is firmer and it doesn't affect the flavor at all.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 10

I never use either PS or CS. I roll on a smear of vegetable shortening. I hate to deal with "dusts" and the cleanup issues they cause.

CS is very smooth to roll on, but it's a drying agent, so that can lead to elephant skin more quickly.

Another issue I have found is that leftovers rolled on CS have gotten "slimy" when left in an airtight bag. I had taken a class where my only option was to roll on CS and I had planned to use my leftovers to embellish the piece once I got home. I wound up throwing away about 5lbs. of fondant because the fondant had become so gooey.

Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 10

It definately depends on the fondant used, the weather (humid or dry), and what you are doing (going to do) with the fondant.
I tend to agree w/BlakesCakes.....a *VERY* thin smear of shortening is best.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 10

I don't use PS anymore either. But before I started using the mat to roll out fondant, I did. CS is a thickening agent (think gravy) I only used CS on fondant to mix with tragh to make it stiff to make flowers or other embellishments.

kariz0201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kariz0201 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 10

I typically use Wilton fondant because I do not make cakes that often since I really only do them for family and friends. I know a lot of people hate Wilton fondant, but I like it. I tried making marshmallow fondant and found that it was too soft and too sweet. What kind of fondant do you use?

I'm in New York and in the summer the humidity is extremely HIGH.

Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 10

I make my own using gelatine and glycerine, not marshmallow. It is pretty simple and it tastes amazing not to mention more cost effective. Wilton is terrible chemically tasting compared to home made, not even the same ballpark.

Chineka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chineka Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 4:07am
post #8 of 10

I use a thin layer of vegetable shortening when working with fondant. This way there is no powdered sugar to get off of the fondant afterwards.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 4:20am
post #9 of 10

I make my own. I use the MMF but have altered it. To the recipe I add butter vanilla emulsion, white chocolate, and a pinch of salt to cut all that sugar taste. And oh yes veg. shortening as well.

Everybody loves mne. I hate 99% of Wilton products and their fondant is at the top of my list.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 5:09am
post #10 of 10

I use corn starch. It's humid where I live - if I do powdered sugar my fondant gets sticky.

Powdered sugar is technically better - it melts into your buttercream, meaning you get less air bubbles. Corn starch stays on the surface of your buttercream and can contribute to trapping air. If your cake starts to sweat a bit the cornstarch absorbs the moisture and expands - blowing out your cake or making a tiny air bubble a big air bubble.

But like I said, I use it anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%