Every Cake I Make Falls Apart? :(

Baking By sweetpoison Updated 29 Jul 2012 , 9:50am by scp1127

sweetpoison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpoison Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 11:41am
post #1 of 10

I have tried 6 different cake recipes, and the same thing happens every time so I can't cut the cake in the middle as it will crumble apart. I use bake even strips and line the tin with baking parchment. What could be going wrong?
Thanks

9 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 11:55am
post #2 of 10

Whats the recipe your using?

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpoison

I have tried 6 different cake recipes, and the same thing happens every time so I can't cut the cake in the middle as it will crumble apart. I use bake even strips and line the tin with baking parchment. What could be going wrong?
Thanks

If 6 different recipes are having the same issues consistently I'd hazard a guess that the problem is with one or more of these: your technique, ingredients, temperatures.

Are you following the instructions properly, paying attention to the temperature of ingredients? What's the date on your baking powder? How are you measuring your ingredients by volume (1 cup sugar) or by weight (7oz sugar). Are you using a kitchen scale? Is your oven properly calibrated? Do you have an oven thermometer for back up and verification of the temps?

Based on the little information you provided, that's all I can come up with?

I didn't look at the recipes you listed, so they may very well be imbalanced but if all 6 are having the same issues consistently, the common denominator is you. Have you tried baking a tried and true recipe (from the recipe section maybe) and checking to see if it turns out okay?

Edit: Just looked at the links. 2 of those cakes (the madeira and the vanilla have iffy reviews based on what I've read about them in the past) so I wouldn't judge your performance based on how those turned out.

sweetpoison Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 6:46am
post #5 of 10

Hi, the oven temperature is fine (used an oven thermometer) but I still have to overcook the cakes to cook them fully for some reason? I am measuring ingredients by weight and volume both. The ingredients are at room temperature. The baking powder is in dateicon_smile.gif Thank you so much for your reply xx

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 7:36am
post #6 of 10

Are you leaving the cake overnight before you cut it or just when its cool? I was always told to leave it overnight (wrapped up well) before doing anything to it to allow it to settle and its always a better texture for cutting the next day and isn't as crumbly as the day its cooked.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 9:05am
post #7 of 10

Leaving a cake overnight does develop the flavor, but on a structurally sound recipe, it should be able to be cut when cooled.

I can't figure why 6 recipes would have the same problem. Here is my suggestion: Ask us fora particular flavor and let us make suggestions on the recipe. Pick one and then the poster and the rest of us can coach you through a proven recipe. If you do this a few times, you should be able to find the problem.

The only name I recognize is Crumb Boss. I haven't tried any of her recipes, but from what I have seen of her videos, her recipes and methods look sound to me. Maybe some other members can comment on the others.

We are here to help. I'm just stumped on this one as you have covered most problems.

sweetpoison Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 9:46am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Leaving a cake overnight does develop the flavor, but on a structurally sound recipe, it should be able to be cut when cooled.

I can't figure why 6 recipes would have the same problem. Here is my suggestion: Ask us fora particular flavor and let us make suggestions on the recipe. Pick one and then the poster and the rest of us can coach you through a proven recipe. If you do this a few times, you should be able to find the problem.

The only name I recognize is Crumb Boss. I haven't tried any of her recipes, but from what I have seen of her videos, her recipes and methods look sound to me. Maybe some other members can comment on the others.

We are here to help. I'm just stumped on this one as you have covered most problems.

That is so kind, thank you. However,I think I have found my problem! I use 3, 1/3 cups to make a full cup and left out the remaining 0.1 cup flour for 2 of the recipes! Don't know where my mind is these days! I will try the recipe again and post here if this is the problem! Again thanks for your very helpful suggestion icon_smile.gif) xx

sweetpoison Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 9:49am
post #9 of 10

Btw, the coconut cake was amazing, even with it falling apart! So if you're looking for a coconut cake recipe, try this one!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 9:50am
post #10 of 10

I hope that is your problem. It takes awhile to get used to weight, but soon it will be second nature. When I'm tired, 1.5x and 2.5x recipes while converting to ounces always requires me to think twice. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%