Need Help

Decorating By waggs Updated 29 Jul 2012 , 12:59am by waggs

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hi. I have to make a VCR cake with the tape sticking out a little bit in the cake. I'm not sure how to do this. If I use rkt covered in fondant will it be too heavy? I'm also afraid of cutting into the side of the cake and having a disaster. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 replies
Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 12:17am
post #2 of 5

Once I crumb coated my basic rectangular shape I would pop it in the freezer for 15 min which helps firm up the cake just enough for you to be able to cut out the side of the cake. A videotape barely pops out of the VCR so you should be fine using rkt for the tape. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

waggs Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 12:26am
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much I'll try that. I think this weekend I'm going to try a small trial cake to see what happens.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:05am
post #4 of 5

You dont have to make the entire vedeo tape just make only the piece that is jutting out. the reason why you make it with rkt is also because its light. if i was to do it, i will place two /three skewers into the tape. when placing it into the player, the skewers will hold the tape in place - just an idea

waggs Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 12:59am
post #5 of 5

Well. Did a trial run today. Made a square cake. I used rkt. Ont good. Would not stay up. I put skewers I put cardboard underneath. Finally my smart husband said to carve it out of the cake. It worked. Thanks to all the input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%