Contacted Pillsbury About Smaller Cake Mix Boxes

Baking By LeeBD Updated 28 Aug 2017 , 8:01pm by kakeladi

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 49

Last week I posted in regards to making WASC cakes with the new smaller size cake mixes. Since then I contacted JM Smucker Co, makers of Pillsbury, and this is what I was told. "The cake mixes make the same amount of cake as before. The only thing that has changed is the bake time. Rest assure it is the same great product with the same great taste". Okay so this doesn't make much sense to me. Why should baking time be less if the cakes are the same size? How could they be the same size if there is less mix in the boxes? I asked if they reformulated or changed their recipe in anyway but that question was ignored.
To those of you who are using the smaller size mixes in your WASC recipes and adding more mix from another box, are you weighing or measuring out the extra 2oz? Thanks

48 replies
SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 49

They are lying by twisting words, the only way it can be the same size after it's baked is if it has more air holes to make it rise higher. They don't care about individuals complaining. The customers they lose will be made up for by lowering their costs by using less product and shipping lighter products.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 49

The cake itself is the same size, it just weighs less. But if you aren't satisfied with the answer about reformulating the recipe, I recommend calling back and escalating the issue with a supervisor.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 49

.....mixes make the same amount of cake as before. The only thing that has changed is the bake time. Rest assure it is the same great product with the same great taste"....

Yeah sure! icon_sad.gif NO WAY!

I bet they put more levening in the mix so it rises higher.
As was said, they are just twisting the truth so you won't scream.

Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 49

So I haven't been caking the last few months because I've been in the middle of a move but I did make WASC (the same way without knowing they had changed the size of cake mixes for pillsbury) last night and have been leveling it today. After reading this post it has totally explained whey there are very large air holes all over where I have never had that happen before. WTH!!!! SO they must add more leavening.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 4:39am
post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallmama

So I haven't been caking the last few months because I've been in the middle of a move but I did make WASC (the same way without knowing they had changed the size of cake mixes for pillsbury) last night and have been leveling it today. After reading this post it has totally explained whey there are very large air holes all over where I have never had that happen before. WTH!!!! SO they must add more leavening.

Visual comparison: old Pillsbury, new Pillsbury, and a store brand.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151025399059329&type=1

throwingsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
throwingsugar Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 49

So I guess the smaller box just hit shelves in our town, I have been using Pillsbury for YEARS! I have a big cake for tomorrow and I am sitting her looking at layers and layers of cake that is not edible! My husband is driving all over town looking for the 18.25 oz box but there are none to be found. I contacted the company and they took my information but I am not sure they really cared! I don't even know where to start at this point from what I can tell the other companies (which I never liked) have done the same thing! The mix is smaller and you still add the same amounts of water, egg and butter, but I cakes came out very thick not light and fluffy! Seems like with more liquid to dry mix it would have been runnier not thicker, they have made some major changes to the mix not just made it smaller! icon_cry.gif

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwingsugar

So I guess the smaller box just hit shelves in our town, I have been using Pillsbury for YEARS! I have a big cake for tomorrow and I am sitting her looking at layers and layers of cake that is not edible! My husband is driving all over town looking for the 18.25 oz box but there are none to be found. I contacted the company and they took my information but I am not sure they really cared! I don't even know where to start at this point from what I can tell the other companies (which I never liked) have done the same thing! The mix is smaller and you still add the same amounts of water, egg and butter, but I cakes came out very thick not light and fluffy! Seems like with more liquid to dry mix it would have been runnier not thicker, they have made some major changes to the mix not just made it smaller! icon_cry.gif

icon_sad.gif Man, I'd hate to be in your shoes right now. Some people have mentioned that store brands have yet to catch up with the new sizes. Maybe a cake mix user can recommend a brand that's similar to what you use.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloGuy

They are lying by twisting words, the only way it can be the same size after it's baked is if it has more air holes to make it rise higher. They don't care about individuals complaining. The customers they lose will be made up for by lowering their costs by using less product and shipping lighter products.

The cost will be made up by customers having to buy MORE product to produce the same quantity cake. Plus their prices will not have changed, the sizes and amount of product has, so in essence you are spending more and getting less.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 49

I dont use Pillsbury... but they went smaller like Betty Crocker?... ugh! When BC switched... i stopped buying.... lord knows I hope Duncan Hines doesn't change as well.....

MelaMang75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelaMang75 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 49

I've always been a huge fan of Pilsbury mixes. Here recently, like in the last 2-3 weeks, I've noticed when taking my white cakes out and set the pans in cooling racks, I come back about 10 minutes later and the cake has collapsed. I had no idea the mix was changed. Just didn't pay attention I guess, I blamed the falling on the high heat and humidity in my area. Very disappointed!!! I hate to think how much money Pilsbury has made from just me this year!

CiNoRi Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 49

All i can say is contact to complain... and DEFINITELY contact Duncan Hines & your other favorite brands to compliment and bring to the fact that you DON'T want them to change as well!!!! icon_wink.gif

jason_kraft Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 4:43pm
post #13 of 49

DH has already started shrinking cake mix sizes, I believe they are down to 16oz. Store brands will probably be next, in a year or two the smaller size will be the new standard across the board.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 49

CiNoRi, Duncan Hines changed their sizes to the smaller size months ago. When BC first changed theirs I did write DH and complimented them on keeping their size, to no avail, they changed it anyway. Pillsbury was the last to change just recently.

I have no option for store brands in my area, so I am now a scratch baker. I already had recipes for scratch just too lazy to do them, now I will always use scratch, at least that size and recipe formula will always be consistent!

jason_kraft Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 4:50pm
post #15 of 49

As mentioned in another thread, cake mixes marketed at professional customers are another option. For example, you can be sure that the size and formulation of Pillsbury's Gold Medal 5# cake mixes will never change since so many professional bakeries rely on them.

throwingsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
throwingsugar Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 5:29pm
post #16 of 49

I just got off the phone with Pillsbury and they told me they have not had any complaints. Then proceed to ask me if my oven was working properly and if I knew how to make cake. I told them I made the new cake mixes which did not turn out right, so I pulled out the 1 box I had left of 18.25oz and made it and everything was fine, same day, same oven, same, eggs etc.

I hope I did not break any rules here but I gave her this website and told her it would be in the companies best interest to read a little of what people are saying about their new cake mix on the internet and I hope it is not to late for them to bring the old stuff back and save themselves from losing customers!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 5:49pm
post #17 of 49

I too contacted DH and their parent company Pinnacle foods. They have reformulated their mix and raised the price! Leave it alone and just charge more. I costs me more in the long run to buy two mixes and use both to make the same cake that it took one to make before. I am tired of freezing the leftover batter!
DH is suppose to have a professional bulk mix, but this must be top top secret. I have been begging for someone to get back with me and they are ignoring my pleas~!!!
I am about fed up with this!

jason_kraft Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 5:53pm
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

DH is suppose to have a professional bulk mix, but this must be top top secret. I have been begging for someone to get back with me and they are ignoring my pleas~!!!
I am about fed up with this!

Bakemark (a regional distributor) sells DH professional mix in 50# bags. I was able to order directly from my local Bakemark location on a cash and carry basis.

http://www.yourbakemark.com/contact/branches.html

CiNoRi Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 7:34pm
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

CiNoRi, Duncan Hines changed their sizes to the smaller size months ago. When BC first changed theirs I did write DH and complimented them on keeping their size, to no avail, they changed it anyway. Pillsbury was the last to change just recently.

I have no option for store brands in my area, so I am now a scratch baker. I already had recipes for scratch just too lazy to do them, now I will always use scratch, at least that size and recipe formula will always be consistent!

Seriously?!?!?! ARG!!!! I have not seen it yet, and i have been buying mixes in PA and NC ....That kills me....What a pain

CiNoRi Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 7:37pm
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

As mentioned in another thread, cake mixes marketed at professional customers are another option. For example, you can be sure that the size and formulation of Pillsbury's Gold Medal 5# cake mixes will never change since so many professional bakeries rely on them.

Do you have any info on the Pro mix options, Best way to get them, etc? I have heard about ordering this way but not until recently could I justify ordering in bulk.
Thanks

jason_kraft Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 7:50pm
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Do you have any info on the Pro mix options, Best way to get them, etc? I have heard about ordering this way but not until recently could I justify ordering in bulk.
Thanks

If you want to stay in the Pillsbury family you can contact your local sales rep for more info, they should be able to direct you to either a distributor (which may or may not offer cash & carry) or a retailer like Restaurant Depot.
http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/find-sales-representative

Here is a list of all their professional cake mixes:
http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/mix/category/cake-mix

Most are only available in 25# or 50# only, but Amazon sells 5# Gold Medal cake mixes for ~$16 with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gold+medal+cake+mix

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 8:03pm
post #22 of 49

That info is all great for Pillsbury users but if you happen to want Betty Crocker you're SOL. They don't make commercial size mixes...or even sell wholesale. Unless something's changed in the last 3 years.

CiNoRi Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 8:05pm
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

That info is all great for Pillsbury users but if you happen to want Betty Crocker you're SOL. They don't make commercial size mixes...or even sell wholesale. Unless something's changed in the last 3 years.

I heart Duncan Hines actually, ...anyone know if they have a pro line?
If i must make the switch i must, but couldn't hurt trying to stay with them

CiNoRi Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 8:07pm
post #24 of 49
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiNoRi

Thanks

If you want to stay in the Pillsbury family you can contact your local sales rep for more info, they should be able to direct you to either a distributor (which may or may not offer cash & carry) or a retailer like Restaurant Depot.
http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/find-sales-representative

Here is a list of all their professional cake mixes:
http://www.professionalbakingsolutions.com/mix/category/cake-mix

Most are only available in 25# or 50# only, but Amazon sells 5# Gold Medal cake mixes for ~$16 with free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gold+medal+cake+mix

Thanks I will check into this!

jason_kraft Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 8:11pm
post #25 of 49

I posted this earlier in the thread, if your local Bakemark doesn't carry the DH bulk mix they should be able to order it.

Quote:

Bakemark (a regional distributor) sells DH professional mix in 50# bags. I was able to order directly from my local Bakemark location on a cash and carry basis.

Betty Crocker does not have a bulk mix, Pillsbury and Gold Medal cover that product category for General Mills.

CiNoRi Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 8:12pm
post #26 of 49
Quote:

I posted this earlier in the thread, if your local Bakemark doesn't carry the DH bulk mix they should be able to order it.

Quote:

Betty Crocker does not have a bulk mix, Pillsbury and Gold Medal cover that product category for General Mills.

sorry i missed that one!

MelaMang75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelaMang75 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 12:52am
post #27 of 49

I've always heard that the bulk mixes make a much drier cake? Anyone use them and have an opinion on that?

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 1:40am
post #28 of 49

Does Gold Medal cake mix taste and bake similar to Pillsbury?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 1:56am
post #29 of 49

Wedding cake bakers are not their target market. Their market is the mom who wants to make a cake or cupcakes for her family.

They adjusted their size because they had no choice. It was the right move for their company. They still want that market of the casual family baker and in order for her to put that box mix in her cart, the price needed to be competitive and stay affordable.

With rising food prices, comanies have balanced raising prices with lower volume. This is not going to change.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 2:11am
post #30 of 49

jason_kraft Bakemark in OH, the closest distributor called and "Jeff" their rep was going to email me details and an application-that was six weeks ago. I called him back a month ago and the phone is no longer in service and their website/fax is not working.
I keep hearing how these are tough economic times, but for the life of me I have four large corporations that I cannot even get to call me back!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%