There's Gotta Be A Better Way.....

Decorating By JanDunlevy Updated 24 Jul 2012 , 1:19am by BlakesCakes

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 11

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 am

I am about ready to pitch 2lbs of fondant in the trash! I am attempting to do a cake to take to the ICES convention and it just ain't working. I am using a 6x6x6 square dummy cake and I have filed my sharp edges and tried misting it with water as well as coating with Crisco (after the water didn't work) and my fondant tears on the top corners and most of the way across before I can even get my silicone mat totally off of it. I am using Wilton fondant because it is a dummy cake and I didn't want to waste my good stuff. What am I doing wrong? I have tried rolling it thicker. I have tried rolling it thinner to no avail. I have used a ton of Crisco kneading it into the fondant thinking it didn't feel very pliable. Would some of you more seasoned pros help me out? Very frustrated!!!! Thanks.

10 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 11

I've never covered a dummy, but I do find that if I knead too much shortening into my fondant it become too soft and more prone to ripping and tearing.

Perhaps you need to file down the edges of the styrofoam a bit more.
And I'd try kneading in some powdered sugar or corn starch. But I might also try adding in more fondant. The Wilton isn't too expensive if you use a Michael's coupon. I'd probably try that first. Try and get back it's integrity.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 11

You answered your own question - Wilton fondant. Stuff sucks. I know it's just for show, but what good does that do if you have shoddy fondant work because of the brand you used? Your cake is going to be looked at by industry professionals from around the world that can spot the tinsy tinyest imperfections - spring for the good stuff!

If not, you've probably overworked your fondant and need to let it rest for a few hours. I've learned from experience that if I can't get a chunk of fondant to cooperate after 2 tries I get a new chunk and put the other stuff aside. Normally 3rd time's a charm with fresh fondant.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 11

Ooooh, and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. For DUMMY work. icon_wink.gif Really, I love it for dummies. Sorry you're having trouble. Might get nicer results if you just put the fondant on in panels instead. Make it a design with something on the edges.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 11

Have you tried it without the mat? A 6 inch square isn't that big so it should be fairly easy to place on your cake with your hands. Also, really focus on getting your fondant adhered to your top corners and edges as quickly as possible, That helps to cut down on the tearing.

AZCouture Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 11

Yeah but a 6" cube is pretty tricky.

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 11

I never have luck with misting a dummy cake with water. The fondant gets too wet. I have had better luck with brushing it with clear piping gel. While I would never use Wilton fondant on a cake that was going to be eaten, I will use it with luck on dummy cakes.

AZCouture Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 11

I rub with them with shortening.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Yeah but a 6" cube is pretty tricky.

True and the OP didn't say how experienced she is or if she's done squares before.

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 12:09am
post #10 of 11

Thank you all so much for your input! I did end up putting it on in separate squares. I am trying to recreate my crab cake that is in my gallery. It was SO much easier with a real cake and buttercream frosting. The seams on the corners won't matter. I am not very experienced in any of this! I have never covered a square with fondant. I have watched it done by someone else and it looked so easy....NOT! It is just for the cake gallery at ICES and it won't be judged.....thank goodness! Just wanted to share something very indicative to my part of the country. Since it is my first ICES convention I just wanted to be a full participant. Now I just have to travel 6 hours on a plane with it!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:19am
post #11 of 11

I think it's great that you're working on something to take to convention. It will be very much appreciated.

I, too, love Wilton fondant for dummies. It's just a very workable product. You really don't need to knead in any significant amount of shortening--just a smear, or so, on your fingers as you knead it to get it ready for rolling.

You really need to soften ALL of the edges, except the bottom 4, on a square dummy. I like to use shortening on the dummy because you can move the fondant around easily.

Picking up the piece of fondant on my rolling pin and laying it over the dummy works best for me. I smooth the top and then each vertical corner. I flare in between each corner and gently smooth down from top to bottom. I then use a pizza wheel to cut away the excess.

HTH for next time.
Have fun at convention!
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%