How Soon Is Too Soon To Bake A Cake

Decorating By deli91 Updated 24 Jul 2012 , 6:55pm by BlakesCakes

deli91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deli91 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 4:45am
post #1 of 6

Im going to do a 15 cake for my friends niece and its a cake for 300 people now im not professional and i do it out of my house so i usually bake the cake a day or two before and im not sure if i can achieve that with this cake itll be a 14,10,6 plus 6 9"s .
so my question is how soon can cakes be baked without jeopardizing the taste? icon_smile.gif

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 4:58am
post #2 of 6

It won't be too soon unless you're planning to bake a year in advance (and I'm sure you're not needing to consider that). Think about all of the 1st anniversary tiers that are frozen for a year that still taste fine. If wrapped properly, they'll last for months in the freezer.

monniemon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monniemon Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 5:01am
post #3 of 6

Hello, usually bake my cakes three or four days before needed. If you wrap them well and brush them with a little simply syrup which will keep the moisture in them. You can freeze them for one or two days, take them out to decorate. This will not jeopardizing the taste at all, just make sure you wrap them well in cling wrap and also with heavy duty foil. I have done this many times and freezing them for a day or two helps them keep well.
good luck, hope this helps thumbs_up.gif

deli91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deli91 Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 5:45am
post #4 of 6

Thank you! you guys were very helpful

RoseBonbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseBonbon Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 8:06am
post #5 of 6

i bake my cakes before 4 -5 days and put them in cake keeper in the fridge not in the freezer and its always moist and delicious never heard any complains

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 6

You can bake those cakes weeks in advance, if you choose, and freeze the layers, well wrapped.

I try to keep the freezing at less than 30 days and it usually winds up being less than 10 days.

Freezing actually improves the texture of the cake (proven baking science). Refrigeration can contribute to a cake drying out and becoming stale more rapidly (again, proven baking science).

I defrost the layers as I need them. I unwrap them & sit them on a cooling rack. I find that most 2" tall layers take about 2 hours to become "workable".

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%