Raising Your Cake To Apply Fondant?

Decorating By Pearl645 Updated 23 Jul 2012 , 1:42pm by Pearl645

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 6

I just saw this youtube video because I am looking for a solution to the base of my fondant cakes.

She recommends raising cakes to put on fondant. Do you do this as well? When I apply BC or ganache to my cakes and then fondant, it seals all the icing and fondant to the cake board I use to ice the cake (not the thin card board square or circle under each cake). When I need to lift the fondant cake off the board to stack onto a cake, it is a mess to unstick. By that time, the fondant has dried and starts breaking off at the base. The fondant and BC pulls up with a frayed look. I have to re-tuck the fondant under the cake but I always have to use fondant or ribbon bands to hide the base of my fondant cakes. What solutions do you have for this? Especially if I want to do a clean cake without a band.

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 1:57am
post #2 of 6

I don't raise my cakes to apply fondant.

I make sure that the cake is on a clean board much larger than the cake itself. I make sure the cake is cool (maybe 10 mins. in the fridge), but not cold or frozen.
I put on the fondant, smooth it, and use a pizza cutter held at an angle, right at the base of the cake board. I immediately transfer the cake to the decorative board or the tier it will sit on.

Done quickly enough, there's time to smooth out any dings at the edges.

Rae

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 2:30am
post #3 of 6

I do exactly as BlakesCakes . I teach it that way, as i was taught that way.hth

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 2:51am
post #4 of 6

I don't raise my cakes. But my teacher (at a little craft store) did. When I tried raising them I found it pulled the fondant which thinned it and made it rip and tear. As Blakescakes said is the way I do it and it works great for me.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 3:07am
post #5 of 6

I also do the same as BlakesCakes and icer101. I was taught to raise the cake but I always found the fondant would tear easier that way, so I started doing it right down on the table surface and it worked much better.

There is a wonderful 3 part video on youtube by InspiredbyMichelle and she walks you through ganaching and fondanting a cake from start to finish in the 3 separate tutorials. Although I still need a lot of practice, I found the videos to be very helpful.

In case you're interested, these are the links...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgrXxYLm0Sk&feature=channel&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imfDvvSZn5I&feature=channel&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFtm8q4m4Bk&feature=channel&list=UL

HTH... icon_smile.gif

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 6

Aww thanks everyone for this help. I ought to move my cake onto the tiered cake as I finish putting on the fondant. From what I read, it appears I wait too long (24hrs in my case) to move the cake from the larger cake board to the decorative board or stacked cake. No wonder it gives trouble to unseal the fondant from the larger board. I would be so exhausted after making all the fondant for a 3 or 4 tier cake in one day (vs buying fondant) that to stack cakes the same day is over-whelming for me. Hence why I wait till the following day to transfer a fondant cake to its proper and final place. Thanks again Blakes and everyone for this help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%