Nicholas Lodge's Gumpaste

Baking By dlyoung Updated 24 Jul 2012 , 3:16am by Sugarsweetcafe

dlyoung Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlyoung Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 8

I know someone can help me. I made gumpaste for the first time a couple of days ago. I found it easy to make but I'm having difficulty with it being too "springy", if that makes sense. When I cut rose petals last night, the vein marks didn't stay in and the petals didn't stay curled back. Did I use too much powdered sugar? I tried it again today and made sure it was at room temperature for awhile. How can I correct this? I have been adding some shortening to it as per directions, but can I use more? I appreciate any help you can give me. I won't give up on this and will definitely make it again.

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 8

I make this all the time. I love it. It sounds like you made it right. Sometimes, i don,t use all the powder sugar. It sounds like ,maybe(don,t know) that you did not roll it out thin enough. Don,t use anymore powder sugar, until you have put little bit of crisco onto you fingers and massage it into the piece of g/p you are rolling out. Knead the whole batch first, the do as i have mentioned. hth let us know if you need more help.

dlyoung Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for responding. Should I take the whole batch out of the fridge, bring it to room temperature and knead it again? Last night and today, I took out enough that I would need and kept the remainder in the fridge. I then put what I didn't use back in the fridge.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 8

I made it for the first time 3 days ago. I had the same problem. It seemed springy and took forever to roll out because it kept coming back in. MIne is back in the frig. All I have used before is the wilton premade so the texture to this is very different and will take some getting use to. I haven't tried to make any flowers with it yet so we will see.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 4:40am
post #5 of 8

dlyoung, yes, i would take the whole batch out. room tempt Put shortening on my hands (little) and reknead it. Let it set out for a while and then try to use it. Truly, i have never had any problems with this g/p. I love it. Been making it for 17 yrs. You might want to e-mail NIck and someone will answer you and help you. I feel sure they will. I do love Wiltons premade also. hth

dlyoung Posted 22 Jul 2012 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 8

I'll try re-kneading it today. In the meantime, I took your advice and emailed Edna since I did use her tutorial to make it. That's why I was pretty sure I had made it right but just having trouble with the rolling. I'm sure she'll also have some advice for me. She is so busy and away a lot and I thought I would get an answer here first. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

dlyoung Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 12:58am
post #7 of 8

As Icer suggested, I tried rolling it thinner. It works so differently from Satin Ice. Edna got back to me this morning and also said it has to be really thin. She uses roller number 6 on her pasta machine. This afternoon, I rolled it as thin as I possibly could. It was much better but now my wrists hurt. icon_wink.gif

I ordered a pasta roller from Amazon for my KA! Thanks, ladies, for your help with this. I know I'm going to love this gumpaste once I get used to it.

Sugarsweetcafe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarsweetcafe Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 3:16am
post #8 of 8

Youre gonna love that pasta maker, I had one in the closet for years and I am so glad I didnt chuck it. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%