Friday Night Cake Club 7/20/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 21 Jul 2012 , 6:08am by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 2:47am
post #1 of 13

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who's Up? Whatcha' Workin' on?

Cat

12 replies
catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 2:49am
post #2 of 13

Hi there!

I'm in San Jose at my daughters this week. Semi week off. I did have a tasting, an 8 inch "button cake" and a teaching session while I was here so it did include a little work but mainly I'm just here, seeing my kids and grandkids and hanging out!

What is up with everyone else?

Cat

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:00am
post #3 of 13

I'm up and baking a 1/2 sheet cake for a family reunion tomorrow. I've printed out my edible image of the Atlanta skyline Thursday evening. Baked my cake this morning. Used my Cricut to do my lettering and put the first icing on. It is sitting in the refrigerator until morning.

I will get up and put on the second icing and decorate with peaches and my lettering and skyline in the morning.

I also have to do some catering with this cake delivery. I've done my green beans this evening as well. I have to make a full pan of spaghetti in the morning as well.

Everything to serve 75 guests.

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 3:11am
post #4 of 13

I am up making a Western Wedding cake for 200. To be delivered 2.5 hours away...OYE!! AND its's an outdoor wedding. Forecasting 28 and sunny! At least it will be in a tent on level flooring. Thank god.

I have already finished doing an engagement ring box cake as well as an and adorable watermelon cake, they are to be picked up tomorrow. Been a very busy week and next week is busier!

Thanks for askingicon_smile.gif

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:02am
post #5 of 13

Brettley, I live about 150 miles away from my main set of clients. I make that journey about 12 times a year so I feel your pain! I finally bought a Cake Safe and it's been a life, and nerve, saver since I got it for wedding cakes. I have three more cakes this summer to bring over and they are all more than one tier so the Safe is getting a work out this year!

I've done a few "family reunion" orders this summer. Popular! I think cake ended up being the "dessert d'jour" for many families. Fortunately we have A/C in the kitchen where I work and I never have to put it in the refrigerator after crumbcoating...thus I never have to worry about the fridge drying it out. I have a cousin who lives outside Atlanta tho' and her house doesn't have A/C so the fridge is the only way to go to keep the cake from melting! She ended up doing cupcakes in a terra cotta pots to get around it this year<G> LOL.

Cat

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:24am
post #6 of 13

Hi Cat and everyone,
I have prep work to do for two workshops I am teaching this week, How to make a giant rose.

I will probably get it done tomorrow as I had my great-nephew here this morning and I am just a little tired after running around after him.

Enjoy your weekend with your family Cat.

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:37am
post #7 of 13

No air and lives in "hot lanta?" Wow. Its like a meat freezer for my own comfort wherever I am icon_smile.gif I've always refrigerated cakes after crumb coating and never had a drying out problem.

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:43am
post #8 of 13

Back to work for me when I get home next week. In fact, I got the job this week and will need to start on figures for it when I get back.

As for the A/C...my cousin moved because of the A/C issue in her old apartment, bought the home and the A/C went out almost immediately after it became HER problem to fix it. So she is having to live with fans this summer and hopefully will have the cash for a new unit before next year. SIGH. I think I'd wanna die myself...I'm such a moderate weather California beach girl that any sort of heat/humidity is awful for me. It's bad enough that we presently live in Sacramento where it gets up to 110 in the summer. Not bad humidity tho not as good as the beach...currently hoping to sort that out over the next year or so! LOL!

Chelle, I've done the giant rose thing...not as easy as it looks. If you ever put up a photo tutorial here please do let us know!

Cat

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 4:59am
post #9 of 13

catlharper;

Gawd I am so jealous! I would love to have a cake safe, someday.... There has to be enough of a demand to justify purchasing it. BUT if my wedding seasons continue on like this one has, I will have one next year.

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:07am
post #10 of 13

I just bit the bullet and bought it. The summer I had two years ago had 12 wedding cakes and 8 of those were out of town deliveries! Every single cake made it completely assembled to the cake tables in perfect condition and I wasn't nearly as stressed as I always have been. In the past two years I've used it about 20 more times and each time I'm SO grateful that I have the thing...even if they do cost an arm and a leg! LOL!

Cat

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:41am
post #11 of 13

I can't live without my AC in the summer , I do live in Queensland though and it does get a mite warm and humid.

I will try and photograph the tutorial tomorrow Cat , I do mine based around a styrofoam egg so it isn't quite as heavy.

I have to do the notes for it , as I have several newbies in my classes this week.

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:49am
post #12 of 13

Ooooo, I love the idea of using a styrofoam egg as the center! Brill Idea!

catlharper Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 6:08am
post #13 of 13

Just popping back in to say goodnight. Hope to see some photos here this week of what you all are working on!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%