Looking For Buttercream Recipe

Baking By rdjr Updated 24 Jul 2012 , 11:37am by bohunk

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 1:05am
post #1 of 9

I am looking for a buttercream recipe that I can use as my standard buttercream. I have tried many recipes but can't find THE one. Please share your recipes and ideas with me, I would really appreciate it, thanks!

8 replies
paloma215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paloma215 Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 9
rdjr Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for your input but I already tried wiltons, edna from YouTube, Winbeckler, Indebys, and the extra special with whipping cream and I did not like any of them. I am looking for something that t creamy, not too sweet, that can stay out at room temperature, and that it does not taste nor feel greasy.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 9

I love "Sugarshack's Buttercream".

rdjr Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 9

thanks newnacy, I'll try that recipe next, does it make a difference if you use Hi ratio Shortening or just regular crisco?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 9

this is a very YUMMMMMY oneicon_smile.gif
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/2-icing

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 9

The best buttercream I've ever tasted is the one on Jessicakes' blog (CC member mrsmudrash)... http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-commonly-asked-questions.html

Scroll down to "What buttercream do you use?"
It's the second one with the marshmallow cream in it.

I just made it recently and used vanilla bean paste for the first time (2Tb + 1tsp), and also 1/2 tsp. salt.
Good Lord...great stuff!

(I haven't tried the cream cheese version yet)

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 21 Jul 2012 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 9

I've never tried it without the Hi Ratio shortening, maybe somebody else can answer that question, I'd also like to know.

bohunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohunk Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 11:37am
post #9 of 9

I can't tell you if there's a difference between using Crisco you'd buy off the the shelf (w/o trans fat) and using hi-ratio shortening, as I usually use SMBC or 10x buttercream with all butter. But I can tell you how it affected my whoopie pie fillings.

When I made my filling with Crisco, before the trans fat was removed, my filling had a great taste and feel. When I made the same recipe using Crisco w/o trans fats, it was horrible! The filling still whipped up nice and light, but what a difference in taste and feel! Tasted like gak and felt like I ate a cup of shortening. The film that was left on my tongue and top of my pallette was nasty.

So I switched over to hi-ratio shortening. The filling is all good again. The down side of this is that I can't buy hi-ratio shortening locally and have to get it shipped in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%