Kids Cookie Kits... What Do You Think?

Baking By MariaK38 Updated 9 Nov 2012 , 8:21pm by cupcakesnbuttercream

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 14

Hi! I'm looking to expand my cookie business a bit with kids cookie kits that I plan to sell at local craft fairs/farmers markets this fall. Each kit will have 2 or 3 shaped cookies (depending on size), 2 souffle cups of colored buttercream, 3 souffle cups of toppings (sugar, sprinkles, candies), and 2 plastic knives for the icing. I'm trying to go low overhead, so the packaging is a stand up cello bag with a ribbon and my tag. Each kit will be $6.00. Also in the bag will be a small ad for other themed kits and party sized kits; and a note about "if your child would like to try more intricate decorating, simply put the frosting in a small sandwich baggie, snip the corner, and squeeze away!" I may or may not include the two baggies, still thinking on that one.
I decided to go with a crusting buttercream (indydebi's that I've used for cupcakes for a long time) because most kiddos like to eat theirs right away. And if mom wants to put them away for later, she can.
I'm advertising it as "edible art for the young and young-at-heart!"
I will have four themed kits at a time (basic shapes, boy, girl, and whatever holiday/season we're in). I don't want to have tons made up, so I may just have the components in a cooler and "grab" from there. Hmmmm...
I haven't totally come to a conclusion about coming home with extra kits. Do I put the cookies and buttercream in the freezer for the next market/order. This particular buttercream recipe lasts a long time in the fridge, but I'm not sure about it being in and out. Same for the cookies, not sure if they'll do ok being re-frozen after being thawed. Some tests are in the works!
What do you think? Any tips or changes? Is there anything I'm not thinking of? Do you think they would sell at a craft fair or farmers market?

Thank you for any suggestions you could give me! So much to think about!

Maria

13 replies
MJbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJbakes Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 12:11am
post #2 of 14

I think its a great idea! But it all depends on who's buying. I'm a mother of two, and if I didn't already know how to bake, I would most likely buy one! icon_smile.gif

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 3:24am
post #3 of 14

I think it's a really cute idea, but as a mom, the thought of giving my kids a knife and icing for their cookie makes me really nervous about the mess. However, a baggy filled with frosting, with instructions to snip the corner and squeeze, really seems doable and much neater. Also I would think it would be tons more fun for the kids to sqeeze vs spread. That's just the way I'd approach it as a customer, for whatever it's worth. Good luck!

MariaK38 Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 14

Good points, thanks! I was thinking that buttercream might be too hard for a kid to squeeze, but maybe I could thin it down just a tiny bit. I totally plan on using my own two kiddos (7 & 9) as gineau pigs before I sell!

MariaK38 Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 14

Here's a pic of the fairy princess kit. I decided to put the frosting in cups and include 2 popsicle sticks for spreading and 2 baggies with a note about spreading and piping with the bags.
LL

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 14

Cute idea! I think $6 is too little to charge for as much work will go into that kit. $10, maybe?

threetexastots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threetexastots Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 2:22am
post #7 of 14

I think that is such a great idea!! Personally I don't think knives are a bad idea. I have done lots of parties with kindergarteners/1st graders with cookie decorating, I always do a dixie cup of frosting and a plastic knife for each kid, and they really don't get too messy at all. Trying to use a bag (baggie or pastry bag) with kids has always been more challenging, IMO, they just don't seem to have the dexterity until they are older. With really little kids I have used thinned icing and brand-new paintbrushes.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 1:16am
post #8 of 14

My 2 cents.... I think some example photos are nice, either in the bag or for the marketing. Lots of people "just follow the example" and don't want to think about where the colors go.

Second, I would go with simpler shapes. The princess will never look like a princess, even to a kid- so that is disappointing. When I am there to "help", I can add details to help it look like what it is.... But.... in a "to go" kit situation, I want the kids to have fun, but also feel happy with what they "created".

Something like adding premade royal icing "eyeballs" also helps "bring it to life"???

HTH
Rita

PS. I am ok with the knives too... most 5-6 and up can handle that...

preeti22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preeti22 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 5:56am
post #9 of 14

Great idea! $6 is good price and it is affordable for all.
michaels printable coupons

Klp78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Klp78 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 6:18am
post #10 of 14

I agree that is such a great idea! My kids 4&6 love to decorate with a knife or a bag. I do agree with simple shapes. Eyes would be cute but not nesassary. Ohh how fun! Good luck with this icon_smile.gif

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 6:40am
post #11 of 14

Great idea!! Yes simple cookie shapes would be better, maybe offering classes on decorating also or offering a workshop at your booth.
How about selling at the same time additional shapes cookie cutters ( I bought a 50 plastic cookie cutter Wilton container of animals at Michaels with a coupon) Sometimes at the dollar store, they have a set of 3 cookie cutters for a dollar!
Buy different sprinkels and sell then in small plastic bag containers ( with a little tag mentioning they can be use to decorate cupcakes also), how about including a cookie recipe . I think your price of $6.00 is very good. Instead of using containers for sprinkles, maybe small plastic bags would be less of a cost?

Anyway, I wish you lots of LUCK!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kattasaurus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kattasaurus Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 10:04pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

My 2 cents.... I think some example photos are nice, either in the bag or for the marketing. Lots of people "just follow the example" and don't want to think about where the colors go.

I agree. I find that even as an adult who is semi-experienced decorating cookies, the hardest part is often having the vision. But if I look at a picture I can re-create it no problem.

In addition:
-$6 seems good. I wouldn't pay $10 for that.
-popsicle sticks instead of knives for spreading seems more appealing to me.. You would never find a plastic knife in a store bought craft kit but you often find popsicle sticks. It gives it a more professional feel IMO.
-I think these will totally sell at a farmers market. Very unique! Good luck!!

MariaK38 Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for all the helpful comments! I decided to go with simpler shapes. Here's a link to some pics of my kids decorating some cookies from the kit... I plan to use them in marketing the kits.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.434514426601527.137614.423697254349911&type=3

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 8:21pm
post #14 of 14

I see you have it figured out, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I do cookie decorating kits as well, but I only offer them on major Holidays. The kits include 8 sugar cookies, 3 piping bags of colored buttercream, an assortment of sprinkles in the plastic cups like you are using. I package it all in a box and sell for $12(kind of low, but I'm ok with it for now). I use simple shapes for the cookies, for example: Flags/stars for 4th of July, eggs/bunnies for Easter, Pumpkin/bat/ghost for Halloween, Christmas tree/snowflake/ornament for Christmas. 

I've done the cookie decorating with my own kids...ages 4,6, and 9. The older ones actually try to decorate something nice. The youngest just piles on all the colorful buttercream and sprinkles lol. So I like the suggestion above, to include example photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%