Sugar Flowers...put Them On Cake Before Transport Or After?

Business By HannahsMomi Updated 20 Jul 2012 , 8:18pm by HannahsMomi

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 2:02am
post #1 of 9

I'm making a 3-tiered stacked buttercream wedding cake next weekend and transporting it stacked to the venue (1 hour + drive). It will have gumpaste hydrangeas on the top tier and sporadically placed bunches on the other tiers. My question is, can I put the flowers on the cake at home before transporting it or should I wait until at the venue? Would they survive the drive ok? I'm nervous about the long drive!

8 replies
JLynne93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLynne93 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 3:01am
post #2 of 9

I don't reccomend attaching gumpaste flowers before transport. I have done this and the flowers that were on the cake before transport broke I was lucky I had extras with me.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 3:42am
post #3 of 9

I personally would put them on at the venue. I take no chances. Work too hard to mess up at the end. Especially the long drive.

cindynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindynes Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 4:17am
post #4 of 9

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but whenever gumpaste flowers sit against buttercream for a period of time, the flowers tend to get soft. I guess they are absorbing the liquid from the buttercream. Therefore, I always decorate my cakes with my sugar flowers on site. I too am afraid that transporting them for the bumpy ride and getting soft makes for a disaster!! I also bring paper towels or a towel to lay of the cake table or display table so when I lay out my tools and royal icing tubes and flowers out to start decorating I don't make a huge mess on the table or tablecloth. Allow yourself plenty of time to do your final work and don't rush. Good luck and have fun.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 11:51am
post #5 of 9

I haven't done them on buttercream so I don't know about drooping. But I've transported with and without the flowers on. I guess it depends on how fragile they are and the type of arrangement they are.

HannahsMomi Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 11:58am
post #6 of 9

Thank you so much for all of the responses! I will wait to put them on the cake at the venue. I don't want to risk anything going wrong...especially after all of the work that went into those hydrangeas!! I can't believe how long it took me to make those things!

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 12:21pm
post #7 of 9

I recently made a 3 tier that had to have cascading roses, I put them on at the venue and would recommend the same to you - best not to take any chances, Especially if it is for a wedding.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 9

I used gumpaste this past weekend on a cake and it was the last thing I put on the cake. I roll mine out very thin and then make them thinner when ruffling so they tend to be a little fragile. Let us know how it goes!

HannahsMomi Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 9

I will let everyone know how it goes! I'm very nervous about this one! I have to drive this cake for 2 hours!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%