3D Cakes

Business By Momofjaic Updated 18 Jul 2012 , 7:21pm by Momofjaic

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 5

when you're doing a 3D cake how do you charge by the design or by serving? And if by serving do you go by what you actually baked or by the final product? And how do you know for sure how many it will serve? Sorry for all the questions but I've had a request for one and I'm a little stumped. TIA!!

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 5

Go by the time it will take you, not the serving count. Most 3-D cakes don't serve a tremendous number of people, but they do take longer than a large tiered cake to do. I have a $175 minimum on 3-D cakes, and for that I'd assume about 20-25 servings. If i needed more cake to make what I was making I'd add it on, that's the least of your concerns when you're doing something shaped. The bigger it is the most "structure" you might need, so that drives the price up, but with the shaped cakes it's more a matter of hands-on time cost than cake cost, know what I mean?

What are you making and how many people do they need it to be for?

Momofjaic Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 5

It's a razorback (Arkansas) with a binky in it's mouth for a baby shower. I would love to charge $175 for it but the market will not support icon_sad.gif I was thinking about doing a 3 layer sheet cake and carving from there. I was thinking 80-100. About 30 servings need I know that will be way to much cake but I don't know how to make it smaller and still come out looking right.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofjaic

It's a razorback (Arkansas) with a binky in it's mouth for a baby shower. I would love to charge $175 for it but the market will not support icon_sad.gif I was thinking about doing a 3 layer sheet cake and carving from there. I was thinking 80-100. About 30 servings need I know that will be way to much cake but I don't know how to make it smaller and still come out looking right.

I'd knock it up to at least $100...That shouldn't be too hard to carve if it's flat on the board, but if you've never done one before there's a learning curve.so it could take you longer than you expect.

Momofjaic Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks that's kind of what I was thinking. My hubby is an artist he always carves my cakes for me!! thanks again for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%