Hot Pink Icing/fondant

Decorating By themustangirl Updated 18 Jul 2012 , 4:21pm by Lynne3

themustangirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
themustangirl Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 4

Hey! I have a request to make the attached cake, but the lady wants the cakes to be iced in buttercream with the fondant accents. My question is, how do you get a hot pink icing. The wilton "pink" color is not hot pink and I tried to dye some fondant last night with the "pink" color and it turned out to be a coral color. Any suggestions??[list=][/list]
LL

3 replies
aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 4

If you have a Hobby Lobby in your town, go get you some AmeriColor. Americolor has an electric pink color OR you could use the AmeriColor Soft Pink, but add a few more drops than usual and it should give you a hot pink color!! (learned this the hard way icon_redface.gif )

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 4

If you can't find Americolor, which I prefer, use the Wilton 'Rose' color. It actually works pretty well. My biggest piece of advice would be to color your icing in advance and let it sit so that the color deepens......THEN color your fondant. I have made so many hot pink cakes and I have the hardest time getting the fondant and the icing to match! I ice in buttercream, and use fondant for the accents. If you use Americolor electric pink on buttercream (at least my buttercream...maybe yours will be different) it actually turns a fuschia like color once it deepens. But if you use americolor electric pink on white fondant, it turns hot pink. I've played around with different color combinations over the past year, and what works best for me is to use americolor soft pink on the buttercream, and deep pink on the fondant. It definitely helps to color the icing first and let it deepen, because then you can see what the final color will be while your coloring the fondant (which doesn't seem to change color much if it sits).

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 4

That color looks like Satin Ice Pink Fondant.
Not the pastel pink. Their regular pink is very bright

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%