Decorations And Figures Out Of Fondant Mixed With Tylose?

Decorating By sweetpoison Updated 18 Aug 2013 , 1:09pm by suzied

sweetpoison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpoison Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 14

Will this work for decorations and figures?

13 replies
cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 14

yes. All of my toppers and figures are made of fondant with tylose added. Tylose makes the fondant dry hard.

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 14

Yes, like cakecraving my toppers and figures are made of fondant with tylose added. Some of them have been made 3-4 hours ahead, but I increased the amount of tylose.

sweetpoison Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks, if the fondant is too soft, can tylose be added to cover a cake?
How long after the tylose is added can you work with the fondant?
Lastly, how long do the figures last and are they edible?
Thanks!! xxx

cakecraving Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks, if the fondant is too soft, can tylose be added to cover a cake?
yes but I would try putting the fondant in the fridge to let it harden and try that first.

How long after the tylose is added can you work with the fondant?
Right away

Lastly, how long do the figures last and are they edible?
Im not sure how long they last I have made figures about 2 weeks ahead of time and they are fine. I know others who make figures months ahead of time. Personally I would not eat it but yes it is edible. If some kid grabbed your topper off the cake and shoved it in his mouth it would be hard as a rock but still edible (hopefully no kid ruins your cake). Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 14

Yes, you can add it to fondant to cover a cake but I would use less than when modelling. Bear in mind the fondant on the cake will dry harder than usual.
You can use the treated fondant for modelling straight away, but I find it works best if left for a few hours or overnight, well wrapped, at room temperature.
Figures last forever, and are edible (unless you use wires in their structure). Toothpicks, skewers and spaghetti will need to be taken out before eating. They will fade if left in bright light, and attract dust easily.

sweetpoison Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you people, very helpful icon_smile.gif) xx

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 1:31am
post #8 of 14

Believe it or not, I made a toy box cake with many figures for a cake show about 3 years ago and I still have the cake and it looks pretty good. I keep it covered with a cotton cloth. It may have faded slightly but not much.

cakecraving Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 1:50am
post #9 of 14

Wait you still have the cake

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 2:20am
post #10 of 14

Yes, it was made for a cake show, so it was made on a styrofoam dummy, not real cake. I'm really surprised how well it has held up.

cakecraving Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 5:13am
post #11 of 14

hahaha icon_smile.gif (laughing at myself) that makes much more since. Next time I will read the post a little closer.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 19 Jul 2012 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 14

I use tylose all the time for modeling. Just keep in mind that it will stiffen the fondant and make it less pliable and any extra left over will become too hard to use even if wrapped well. If I am going to need to model something and I need it to remain really pliable (like for sculpting) or I need to work on it in stages I use a combination of fondant/gum paste instead of adding tylose to my fondant. The 50/50 mix of fondant and gum paste can be wrapped well and used over and over without getting too stiff. If you add enough tylose to fondant it will dry as hard as straight gum paste. I have customers who still have figurines made by me from a couple of years ago and they are still looking great. HTH

Yandinna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yandinna Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 7:44am
post #13 of 14

AHow much Tylose do you add to fondant to make figurines? Also where can I buy Tylose from? Im in Qld Australia Thank you

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 14

I think its  one  teaspoon per 250grms fondant.  you should be able to get it from any cake decorating place.  do you have a spotlight store? they have cake decorating stuff

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%