Mouldy Cake

Decorating By michellew Updated 18 Jul 2012 , 2:05am by michellew

michellew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellew Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 12:43am
post #1 of 27

had a text from a customer saying her cake was mouldy when she cut it. I asked when she had cut it and she said yesterday, two weeks and two days after she had collected it from me, all my cakes are made fresh and from scratch, i just cant understand why she would order a cake two weeks in advance, i offered her, her money back or another cake, she chose another cake, sounds strange to me. just wondering what you would do as i dont think it was my fault that she ordered a cake two weeks in advance( if thats what happened).

26 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 1:03am
post #2 of 27

I wouldn't have given her money back. That was just dumb on her part. A store bough cake would mold if it sat on a counter for 2 weeks.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 1:34am
post #3 of 27

I wouldn't have given her money back either. How can she expect to eat a cake two weeks after it had been baked? Since you offered her a free cake, give that to her and "dump" her as a customer.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 1:44am
post #4 of 27

Gross! 2 week old cake?? What does she expect?? This is in no way your fault! Definitely put her on your "no more cake for you" list!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 2:05am
post #5 of 27

Since you made the offer, I'd stick to it BUT... I'd also let her know (in a profession way) that food that is going to be kept more than X day's should be frozen.

I wonder if she does that with her meat, milk, etc.

Tjensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tjensen Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 3:22am
post #6 of 27

Unless she was one of my customers who spends thousands of dollars each year with me, there is NO WAY I would have provided another cake or given a refund!! You cannot be responsible for two week old cake, that's just K K KRAZY! You are tooo kind!!! icon_smile.gif

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 27

I certainly would not have offered her a refund or another cake! 2 weeks and 2 days - why buy a freshly made scratch cake to keep it for that long before cutting it - you should have told her that you do not use preservatives in your cakes!!! Mind you the mind boggles as to how some people do not use their common sense - maybe we all need to start putting a consume by date on our cakes!!! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

AMACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMACakes Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 27

I certainly would not have offered her any money back. What person wouldn't expect cake to get mouldy sitting out for 2 weeks?

It is certainly not your fault.

I would ask her why she ordered the cake so far in advance.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 27

Why on earth did you offer her a refund or replacement when the cake was cut over two weeks after she collected it (unless it was a fruit cake)?

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 27

I will chime in with the others that have already answered you, no refund. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and she probably caught you off guard when she called and if it had been me I would have been, "Oh no, what can I do to save my reputation?" If you had a couple of minutes to really think about it you would have been able to arrive at the conclusion as the others. Why on earth wait for 2 weeks to cut it and sorry, No Refund for You!. Make her cake and if she calls again, sorry no more cakes.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 2:49pm
post #11 of 27

And of course....be sure and tag the "replacement" cake with a consume-by date. This customer is clearly too dumb to figure that out!

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 27

Wow...2 weeks after she collected it??? I always ask customers "when is the party?" to make sure they are not picking up a cake and leaving it for days. I had 2 customers recently who picked up cakes up to 2 days before they actually cut it and serve it. Got great reviews but still...I found it strange they picked up the cake 2 days in advance...far less in ur case...2 wks. Gad. Sounds weird to me. Ppl are so funny about a cake that is not freshly baked. Makes me wonder how long they keep things in their home to eat... :S Very weird........

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 6:25pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellew

had a text from a customer saying her cake was mouldy when she cut it. I asked when she had cut it and she said yesterday, two weeks and two days after she had collected it from me, all my cakes are made fresh and from scratch, i just cant understand why she would order a cake two weeks in advance, i offered her, her money back or another cake, she chose another cake, sounds strange to me. just wondering what you would do as i dont think it was my fault that she ordered a cake two weeks in advance( if thats what happened).

I just can't understand why you would offer her money or cake for being ridiculous. Really?

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 27

Do you have a website? Under my FAQs I clearly state that cake, cupcakes & cookies are to be enjoyed with a 3 day shelf life. I've seen even a 2 day shelf life on some cake websites. Let people know verbally as well as put it in writing that your cakes should be eaten within x days of pick-up.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 9:33pm
post #15 of 27

.....Gross! 2 week old cake?? What does she expect?? This is in no way your fault! ....
......You cannot be responsible for two week old cake, that's just K K KRAZY! You are tooo kind!!! .........
....Why on earth did you offer her a refund or replacement when the cake was cut over two weeks after she collected it.....

Exactly what they all said. Why, oh why did you offer a refund or cake?? NO way was any of it your fault requiring a refund.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 10:14pm
post #16 of 27

Please tell her that she's NOT purchasing a Twinky from you, it's a freshly baked cake. If she made dinner, would she think that it would still be fresh 2 weeks later.............I should hope not. She's either one brick short of a chimney or a scammer trying to get two for the price of one. If you've ever left a Twinkie out on your counter, you know what I'm talking about - they last forever.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 10:42pm
post #17 of 27

It may not be fresh, but I doubt seriously it was moldy. If it was in a refrigerator for 2 weeks, covered with butter cream or fondant, there is no way that it would turn like that. Even if it was out on the counter...UNLESS you had fresh fruit in the filling or an egg based custard filling, the cake should not have been moldy.

Why did you take her word for it?
And no..absolutely you should never have offered any kind of refund or freebie! I would honestly call her back and say you've reconsidered. Her call caught you off guard and that after reviewing the situation you don't feel you have any obligation to provide any sort of restitution since...
a) they did not provide any evidence that the cake was bad and
b) you are not responsible for any cake one day past delivery.

Do you really want to keep these people as customers? They are scammers...and if they're not...well...they're just stupid. And who needs that?

Relznik Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 10:53pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

It may not be fresh, but I doubt seriously it was moldy. If it was in a refrigerator for 2 weeks, covered with butter cream or fondant, there is no way that it would turn like that. Even if it was out on the counter...UNLESS you had fresh fruit in the filling or an egg based custard filling, the cake should not have been moldy.

Why did you take her word for it?
And no..absolutely you should never have offered any kind of refund or freebie! I would honestly call her back and say you've reconsidered. Her call caught you off guard and that after reviewing the situation you don't feel you have any obligation to provide any sort of restitution since...
a) they did not provide any evidence that the cake was bad and
b) you are not responsible for any cake one day past delivery.

Do you really want to keep these people as customers? They are scammers...and if they're not...well...they're just stupid. And who needs that?

carmijok - the original poster is from the UK, so I'm going to hazard a guess that the cake was covered in sugarpaste (fondant) as that's more the 'norm' over here - and we don't refrigerate cakes, as, again, fresh fruit fillings and custards aren't really very common here.

I do agree that it may have been as stale and as hard as a brick, but probably not mouldy.

But I can also see going back to the customer now would be really awkward. I really feel for the OP, because I can totally relate to that feeling when you get a complaint and you just want to make things OK. It's almost like a panic / knee-jerk reaction.... (I had a complaint a little while ago, which I later found out from a mutual friend who was at the party, was totally unfounded!! Fortunately, I had told her that as she had thrown the supposedly stale cake away instead of bringing it to me, I was unable to look into the matter!!!!)

Suzanne x

carmijok Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 11:19pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

[quote=
carmijok - the original poster is from the UK, so I'm going to hazard a guess that the cake was covered in sugarpaste (fondant) as that's more the 'norm' over here - and we don't refrigerate cakes, as, again, fresh fruit fillings and custards aren't really very common here.

I do agree that it may have been as stale and as hard as a brick, but probably not mouldy.

But I can also see going back to the customer now would be really awkward. I really feel for the OP, because I can totally relate to that feeling when you get a complaint and you just want to make things OK. It's almost like a panic / knee-jerk reaction.... (I had a complaint a little while ago, which I later found out from a mutual friend who was at the party, was totally unfounded!! Fortunately, I had told her that as she had thrown the supposedly stale cake away instead of bringing it to me, I was unable to look into the matter!!!!)

Suzanne x

I really would have no problem going back to the customer at all! What would be the problem? That they'd be offended or think me 'unprofessional'? Ha! That would be the least of my worries! I would be more concerned that just chalking this up to experience would set a dangerous precedent down the road for anyone who thinks that-- hey..it worked once...let's do it again! (i.e. 'friends' of the original customer).

If she does not have any written agreement for a refund or freebie, then she has no obligation to provide either one. And if the OP is concerned about bad PR...well consider the source and the source's friends. Probably much the same and no reason to want them as customers anyway.

She did the work, provided a fresh product and earned her money. I think she should stand up for herself and her business and not let others take advantage of her good nature. Just my opinion! icon_wink.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 1:21am
post #20 of 27

It's true, cake starts to grow mold in about 2 weeks at room temperature. Her cake was probably moldy 2-4 days before she cut it. Whatever it's covered with (BC or fondant), it holds the moisture in and becomes more moist with time. The mold starts where the icing touches the cake -- as the two meld, it gets slimy. Even if you don't yet SEE the mold on two week old cake, you'll still smell that it is no longer edible.

michellew Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 1:38am
post #21 of 27

thanks for the replies, i offered her a refund /another cake as i dont want her bad mouthing my work she came to me through other customers, so cut my losses and learnt a lesson as in not to do anymore for her. I do state cakes are best eaten straight away.

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 2:34am
post #22 of 27

1. mold, moldy

2. I wouldn't give her squat. Why would you think a cake would last more than 2 weeks without freezing it.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 6:54am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloGuy

1. mold, moldy

2. I wouldn't give her squat. Why would you think a cake would last more than 2 weeks without freezing it.

Well aren't you the English police? This time though, I wish you would have consulted the dictionary.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mould

Relznik Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 6:57am
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFloGuy

1. mold, moldy

As the saying goes, we are divided by a common language.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/mould_1?q=mould

There are plenty of other words which differ in their spellings, depending on whether you're in the UK or USA.

Just a few examples:

Colour
Flavour
Theatre

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 11:43am
post #25 of 27

Completely off topic, but even though I am here in the US, I love the way Colour looks with a u and Theatre with the e at the end... And I use it that way... thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 3:42pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellew

thanks for the replies, i offered her a refund /another cake as i dont want her bad mouthing my work she came to me through other customers, so cut my losses and learnt a lesson as in not to do anymore for her. I do state cakes are best eaten straight away.

You state that 'cakes are best eaten straight away". That's pretty open-ended. You're just saying that it's better to be consumed...not that it's imperative to do so. You need something a little more firm such as

'To ensure the freshest cake possible, please serve within 12 hours of delivery. We do not assume responsibility for any cake that is served past the recommended time period for consumption.

In addition, any cake not served within that time frame should be refrigerated to avoid spoilage.'

Or something like that to get your point across. As proven by your experience, some people lack common sense...and you need to cover yourself to make sure it doesn't happen again! thumbs_up.gif

michellew Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 2:05am
post #27 of 27

i have made hundreds of cakes with no problem, just one stupid customer who thinks it will last for weeks, most of my customers are regular and so know that they are collected the day before or on the day they are eaten, this is one I wont be doing any more for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%