Whats In The Middle Of These Tiers

Decorating By snazzycakes1 Updated 16 Jul 2012 , 5:53am by srkmilklady

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 13

i love wedding cakes like these, but how are they stacked? what is used in the middle of each tier to give that separation (in red in this pic). tia
LL

12 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 13

This:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=304-8174

One could also use cake dummies and cover them to suit one's theme/color scheme.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 13

cake dummies, I get mine from GSA or ebay

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 13

I don't reccoment that Wilton tailored tier above. But this picture is done using An inch or two smaller dummy cakes then the real cake above it! Then you wrap it in ribbon!
So simple to do yet very classy!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictive_desserts

I don't reccoment that Wilton tailored tier above.

I've never used either method, but I'm curious as to why you wouldn't recommend the Wilton product? Is it the cost? Or is it a question of the quality of the product?

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 13

I use foam risers all the time! You can use cake dummies as mentioned above, or foam discs that you find at Hobby Lobby, Michael's...etc., and just cover them in ribbon. They will also need to sit on their own board to keep from coming into contact with the cake. Good luck!

superdupercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdupercakes Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 13

How do you stabilize the tiers? Do you run a dowel rod through the whole cake and dummies?

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 13

I use my pipe/flange assembly which is a plumbing flange attached to the bottom cake board with a PVC pipe in that, then each tier/riser is "cored" and threaded down over the pipe. Traditional supports (dowels or bubble tea straws) are necessary with each tier, of course, but this method prevents shifting/disasters during transit! There are pictures of my method in my gallery.

Addictive_desserts Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 13

For what you pay (especially here in Australia) all you get is a couple of dummy cakes and some plates. Also you can only stick to the specific dimensions Wilton say. I must say the idea of the wrapped photos is good but you can get the same result just using the dummies.

Addictive_desserts Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 13

Forgot to say its $70 here in Australia!

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 12:52am
post #11 of 13

so you dowel the cake tiers, then foam boards on cake boards (with no dowels needed???) etc. etc and so on till the top?

Addictive_desserts Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 2:19am
post #12 of 13

Yeah pretty much. Do everything you would as if every tier is a real cake but no dowels in the foam ones!

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 5:53am
post #13 of 13

This is Cambo's method as she mentioned and I'm going to give this a try for my daughter's 4 tier wedding cake that has 2" separators in between each cake tier. It looks like a really good worry free system! thumbs_up.gif

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2127484/pipe-flange-assembly-method

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%