French Meringue

Baking By rfemama Updated 12 Aug 2012 , 11:08pm by rfemama

rfemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfemama Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 12:54am
post #1 of 10

I 'm trying to beat some egg whites to glossy stiff peak. No matter how I beat, I just cannot get to that stage.

I'm using KA mixer for all trial.

when I use high speed throughout (that means from beginning of beating until end for about 2-3 mins), the whites came out dry and lumpy, dull also.
when I use low speed to beat until frosty, then add caster sugar, after that, crank up to medium speed for few mins, it also turn out dull and grainy.
when I use medium speed and turn up to high speed after adding sugar, it turn out also grainy!

it never go to that stage of glossiness, and for every trial, it hsa never gotten to the compact meringue stage. evn after it turned grainy, the bubble in the meringue is still quite large, definitely not the creamy compact meringue that we are looking for. it just went straight from frosty to grainy!

I'm quite sure my bowl is very clean with no oil, water, etc. I'm refraining from using cream of tartar.

I've given up wasting my egg whites.icon_sad.gif

does anyone has any clue why I just cannot get a glossy stiff peak??

Thank you so much!

9 replies
lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 10

the dry and lumpy sounds like over beating of the whites.

(I suggest asking this/moving this to the recipe forum...there might be something off in your measurements or process and the posters in there are whizzes at figuring our the science behind things. )

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 10

I couldn't tell you what's happening icon_sad.gif But it does kind of sound like overwhipping. Is it getting peaks at all? If it isn't getting past the liquidy-foam stage I would check to make sure there isn't too much sugar first (equal weight or less than eggs).

Are the eggs too cold? I have no idea :/

rfemama Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 1:01am
post #4 of 10

thanks for replying! icon_smile.gif

yes, it is definitely overwhipped. I did that purposely to see the overwhip stage. but the thing is, it has never rech the glossy stage. it just went straight from foamy to soft peak, then to stiff but dull peak. definitely not the glossy stage. I thought it must have a gloss to it?

i tried at room temperature, so I don't think its the egg too cold though.

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 10

Are you using the Whisk Beater instead of the Flat Paddle?

Also, make sure your beaters are clean. You can clean them in a vinegar/water solution.

rfemama Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 10

I'm using a whisk attachment of course. yes, its grease free.

today, I went through a a recipe from Dorie Greenspan's Pars Sweets book, which calls for 6 large egg whites to be whisked together with 30 gram of sugar.

If I remember correctly, for meringue to be formed, the white:sugar ratio is 1 white to 30gram of sugar right? so the total of sugar should be more than 30 gram? the recipe did NOT ask to add cream of tartar, lemon juice or salt. it just says, whisk the white to stiff peak.

can someone please advise or should I write directly to Dorie?

Thanks!

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfemama

I'm using a whisk attachment of course. yes, its grease free.

today, I went through a a recipe from Dorie Greenspan's Pars Sweets book, which calls for 6 large egg whites to be whisked together with 30 gram of sugar.

If I remember correctly, for meringue to be formed, the white:sugar ratio is 1 white to 30gram of sugar right? so the total of sugar should be more than 30 gram? the recipe did NOT ask to add cream of tartar, lemon juice or salt. it just says, whisk the white to stiff peak.

can someone please advise or should I write directly to Dorie?

Thanks!

I make macarons often and I have to beat my egg whites into a meringue with nice stiff peaks. I use 3 eggs whites and 25 grams of sugar so I'm not sure about the 1 white to 30 g of sugar ratio you mentioned.

I first whisk the whites on low for a few minutes then turn it up to 2 or 3 on my KA then when it is a little foamy I add sugar and then up to it medium...maybe setting 4 or so? Then when I want super stiff peaks I go to 5 but I'm not sure if I've gone higher than that.

I don't use lemon juice or cream of tartar in mine either.

rfemama Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 12:49am
post #8 of 10

thanks ibeeflower!

DO you mind posting a pic of the meringue to show the glosiness coz mine just don't have that.icon_sad.gif

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfemama

thanks ibeeflower!

DO you mind posting a pic of the meringue to show the glosiness coz mine just don't have that.icon_sad.gif

Darn! I just finished making macarons! I don't get emails on my phone anymore and I hardly check my email.

This lady who makes macarons shows how the meringue should look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bri6xnDBl9I&list=FLrT9mlvP9KXQBawZs5kIMbQ&index=3&feature=plpp_video

She uses a higher number on her KA but my meringue looks like hers in the end.

rfemama Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the video!

it seems like the kitchenmusings is beating the whites for under a minute on setting 6 (KA)?

setting 2/3 is kinda low. that probably explains why my meringue went from soft peak to dry and grainy very fast because I use setting 6-10! but then again, I tried to reduce the speed sometimes...icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%