French Meringue

Baking By rfemama Updated 16 Jul 2012 , 4:17pm by imagenthatnj

rfemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rfemama Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 12:49am
post #1 of 7

I 'm trying to beat some egg whites to glossy stiff peak. No matter how I beat, I just cannot get to that stage.

I'm using KA mixer for all trial.

when I use high speed throughout (that means from beginning of beating until end for about 2-3 mins), the whites came out dry and lumpy, dull also.
when I use low speed to beat until frosty, then add caster sugar, after that, crank up to medium speed for few mins, it also turn out dull and grainy.
when I use medium speed and turn up to high speed after adding sugar, it turn out also grainy!

it never go to that stage of glossiness, and for every trial, it hsa never gotten to the compact meringue stage. evn after it turned grainy, the bubble in the meringue is still quite large, definitely not the creamy compact meringue that we are looking for. it just went straight from frosty to grainy!

I'm quite sure my bowl is very clean with no oil, water, etc. I'm refraining from using cream of tartar.

I've given up wasting my egg whites.icon_sad.gif

does anyone has any clue why I just cannot get a glossy stiff peak??

Thank you so much!

6 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 1:11am
post #2 of 7

You are over-whipping. Stiff peaks are firm and hold their shape, just after soft peaks where the peak bends like a bird beak.

Alton Brown uses a 4oz/6oz ratio whites/sugar, with the sugar added slowly over about a minute.

Both times the mixer can be on high. If you didn't break your whites (dry and chunky) you will get glossy peaks.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 1:51am
post #3 of 7

I agree with scp...you are probably over beating. Don't do it too high or too low. Stay on medium until it beats it and you get nice stiff peaks. You mention that you start low (which doesn't mix well) and end on high (which is too strong). Be consistent and add sugar slowly.
I make macarons and have to be careful when beating egg whites or it will be clumpy and break apart.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 2:24am
post #4 of 7

You need cream of tartar. You also need to have egg whites at room temperature before you start. NO SALT.

Mix on low speed 2 minutes, go to medium, and slowly beat in sugar a spoonful at a time, Then whip at high speed.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 3:09am
post #5 of 7

I do like BakingIrene, separate the eggs cold, whip at room temp, but my COT goes in just as the whites begin to foam. I do run my KA Pro610 at full speed during whipping. When adding the sugar, I do as she stated or the sugar will go everywhere, but again at full speed ultimately.

What are you making? Just curious. I use all three methods for different products.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 2:02am
post #6 of 7

hate to ask this but, you never know, sometimes its something simple we are overlooking ......

are you using a whisk? not the paddle. must use whisk.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 7

You're overwhipping.

Do not ever go on high all the time. Especially not at the beginning.

Always start on low to medium-low. I had to watch the CIA videos on meringue about 3 times to convince myself of this. If you don't want to do low, just start and stay on medium until it's time to do high. You'll get a stronger foam at the end.

If you get it lumpy and not glossy, you either overwhipped or you don't have enough sugar in your recipe.

Here's a good tutorial:

http://baking911.com/quick-guide/how-to-az/eggs-beating-techniques-egg-whites

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%