Problems With Satin Ice Fondant And Wilton Icing Colors

Decorating By silbella Updated 13 Jul 2012 , 9:32pm by icer101

silbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silbella Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have trouble using Wilton's icing colors to tint white Satin Ice fondant? Recently I purchased a tub of SI and the fondant was horrible- cracking, tearing, and elephant skin. Ugh! I have used the 2 together previously and never have any issues. Contacted SI and was told that it's the Wilton icing colors causing all of my problems- that it causes their fondant to dry out. So my next cake...un-tinted, pure white, straight out of the container and it did the same exact thing!!!! Hmmmmm...wondering who's to blame here?? I have read so many other people's complaints about SI, I probably won't continue to use it, but meanwhile I have a 20lb tub of it I'd like to use effectively without throwing it across my kitchen first icon_wink.gif Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies
Katieandrews Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katieandrews Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 4

Hey there,
I work at a cake shop that ONLY uses Satin Ice. We don't use Wilton colors but it has been known to dry out quick. Try using glycerin to revive the fondant after it starts cracking. A couple of drops per handful of fondant will rehydrate it completely icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 4

I think the idea that the Wilton colors "dry out" SI is a pile of bull#$&*. Someone at Satin Fine Foods just didn't want to deal with taking down the lot # and finding out what the REAL problem was.

I'd call back with the lot numbers of the 2 BAD buckets that you received and ask for replacements.

JMHO
Rae

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 4

There has been a long thread on this subject last year. It is the s/i fondant. Alot of c/cers were having fits. I used it once and it looked like elephant and i didn,t even color it. Had to apologize to may customer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%