Wedding Cake Help, Whipped Ganache On Outside?

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 17 Jul 2012 , 7:50pm by shannycakers

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 10

Please help,

I have a tasting tomorrow for a bride who wants a reese cup 3 tier wedding cake. Now this cake I am delivering and its a 3 hour drive. I do mostly fondant cakes, but she wants the whole thing in chocolate, 6, 8, 10. The picture she sent me is whipped ganache on outside and reese cup filling inside. Will I be able to deliver a cake in whipped ganache safely? AND can i or should i use whipped ganache as icing for the outside? or try talking her into a chocolate buttercream?

It is a Sepetember wedding so it iwll be hot and a long car ride. Any help? Is whipped ganache easy to decorate with? I have made regular ganche and used it as filling but i dont know how stable the whipped type is and does it need refrigeration?

9 replies
shannycakers Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 10

anyone ever use whipped ganache on outside of cake in summer?

shannycakers Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 10

I am surprised no one knew the answer to this post... I just told the bride I would only do crusting choc buttercream on outside and she could have ganache and peanut butter on inside...

anyone??

ymmat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ymmat77 Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 10

I haven't decorated an entire wedding cake with whipped ganache, but I use ganache under all of my cakes before I put on the fondant. It's a different recipe than traditional ganache..... it has a larger chocolate to cream ratio, but it holds up very well under the in most circumstances. It makes a perfect base for receiving fondant. My cakes are like tanks once I finish them.

The best thing I might recommend is to test it out in a warm car to see if it holds up. The recipe is from "Planet Cake" out of Australia. If you can't find it I can post it. Basically, I would do a test run on a saucer or plate to see if it melts, but I can't imagine it being less sturdy than regular buttercream.

shannycakers Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 10

o thank you! I will look that up, do you whip it after it sets? or just use as is?

ymmat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ymmat77 Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 10

I think it might be too thick to whip. If it were me I'd add a little less chocolate than the recipe calls for.....Oh, I forgot.... I just made a copy for my recipe book. Here's a copy of the "coating" recipe. I would still google the technique for more instruction. It has saved my life. I hated having all my fondant covered cakes show dimples and ridges of the cake layers. You have to work really hard at getting it smooth with a HOT knife, but once you do it makes all the difference in the look of my cakes. I also brush my cakes with vodka in order for fondant to adhere. It also smooths out the cake even more.

Ganache for Coating Cakes

White Chocolate Ganache:
3 lb. white chocolate chips (Ghirardelli)
1 ¾ c. heavy whipping cream

Chocolate Ganache:
2 lb. 10 oz. chocolate chips (Nestle)
2 1/3 c. heavy whipping cream

Melt all ingredients in microwave on 1 minute intervals at 80% power, stirring in between cycles.
Whisk until smooth, use electric beaters or immersion blender if needed. Makes enough for one 12 inch cake. Do NOT use cheap white chocolate. It doesn't work. The only brand that has worked for me is Ghirardelli.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 16 Jul 2012 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

o thank you! I will look that up, do you whip it after it sets? or just use as is?

Considering your weather - just make your ganache and use it as is - no need to *whip* as you say.
Not sure what you mean by *whipped ganache*
I use ganache 99% of the time - both under my fondant and as a top coat - not ure what you mean by *whipped* ganache - I make my ganache, then when it has cooled i fill my cakes with it - then after the cake has *settled* i use the same ganache as my *crumb coat* - allow that to set up over night - then apply my fondant.

Bluehue

shannycakers Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 10

thank you both for the replies, bluehue, I thought you had to whip the ganache in mixer once it cooled down after a few hours before you could bag n decorate with it, but I guess that is not necessary. I will let it cool and then just spread on cake as isicon_smile.gif I saw alot of recipes saying to whip your ganache but not sure why or what the difference is

vonnie222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie222 Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 10

You can use ganache as a filling and to do your decorations both ways. If you don't want to whip it, after it cools, it can be spread between the layers, as a crumb coat under fondant, as frosting, and put in a bag to pipe your decorations with.

To whip it, after it cools, place in stand mixer, use your whip attachment and whip it on high for about 10 minutes (just like you were making mashed potatoes). You can also do it with a hand mixer. It can be used the same ways as non-whipped ganache. Whipping it will make the ganache very light and fluffy like whipped cream.

shannycakers Posted 17 Jul 2012 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 10

o ok thank you !! that explains alot, I understand the difference nowicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%