Scratch Or Doctored?

Baking By saraek Updated 18 Jul 2012 , 5:13pm by saraek

saraek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraek Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 6

I love making cupcakes from scratch! Sometimes I don't have a lot of time to do it that way (making cupcakes for work or in a hurry) and I found an amazing doctored cake mix recipe on a baking blog that I tried out with lemon cupcakes. They turned out fantastic, tasty and moist. However, when it comes to making cupcakes for people, I wonder if I should stick to scratch? How do you ladies do it?

5 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 6

I personally prefer to make scratch, I like the challenge. But it depends on the time frame and audience that I'm baking for what I will do. I am still very much in the learning process with my scratch, so if it is for fun or friends, I will try a new recipe and go from there. If it is a paid order, I go with what I know will work well. I have some go to scratch recipes for certain flavors, while for other flavors I'm still searching, so I still lean towards the doctored cakes. My hope it to have a scratch recipes later, but in a pinch, I find that doctored cakes work well as well.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 6

saraek, where is the recipe for the lemon c/c you made. Could you share the link. tia I do mostly scratch, but also will use the wasc(kakeladi's and others on this site) for different reasons.Just wondering the one you used. tia

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 6

If you go scratch, you'll never be the one to start a thread like this:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=746602&highlight=

saraek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraek Posted 18 Jul 2012 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for the responses! I think I will stick with doctored mixes for a quick baking project and continue to search for that perfect scratch recipe icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%