Cake Recipe For Cupcakes?

Baking By DaisyJay Updated 24 Jul 2012 , 1:54am by LindaF144a

DaisyJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyJay Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 9

A while ago, I tested a new vanilla cake recipe and I made it as a cake. It came out really good. Then later, I used the same recipe for cupcakes and it was like I had used a different recipe. They were kinda bland and they weren't moist. Has this ever happened to any of you?

8 replies
Bliss Pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bliss Pastry Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 12:46am
post #2 of 9

Maybe they baked a tad too long? Maybe reduce your oven temp and try it again. I always slightly underbake anything I make. If you love the recipe but want to perk it up some you could make a mixture of butter, sugar,vanilla, baking soda and buttermilk, boil it for a couple of minute then brush it over the cupcakes. Tastier than simple syrup. I think vanilla cake is bland in any form but people seem to only want vanilla or chocolate cake where I live. If you like that sauce idea it's .... 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 Cup of butter, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 cup of buttermilk and a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla added at the end. That would be a small batch.... Double it if you need more. It should soak Ito your cake and add moisture plus yumminess.

bitabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitabread Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 2:37am
post #3 of 9

Bliss Pastry I'm gonna have to try that sauce myself, it sounds amazing!

DaisyJay: I have a vanilla cake recipe I use only for cakes and I have a "softer/tastier" recipe I use only for cupcakes. Considering cupcakes bake for less time you always have to be vigilant that you won't over-bake them. I would recommend trying a "vanilla cupcake" recipe and see how that works out and keep the recipe you have for cakes. Good luck!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 11:12am
post #4 of 9

I classify my recipes by flavor not if they are cake or cupcake. It's been my experience that if a recipe works, it can be used for any form. And if I want to use a recipe as a muffin or sweetbread, I add more flour. (Muffins are really cupcakes without icing, right?)

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 11:34am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss Pastry

Maybe they baked a tad too long? Maybe reduce your oven temp and try it again. I always slightly underbake anything I make. If you love the recipe but want to perk it up some you could make a mixture of butter, sugar,vanilla, baking soda and buttermilk, boil it for a couple of minute then brush it over the cupcakes. Tastier than simple syrup. I think vanilla cake is bland in any form but people seem to only want vanilla or chocolate cake where I live. If you like that sauce idea it's .... 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 Cup of butter, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 cup of buttermilk and a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla added at the end. That would be a small batch.... Double it if you need more. It should soak Ito your cake and add moisture plus yumminess.

That sounds very interesting...thank you so much for sharing this idea.

MisterCakePro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MisterCakePro Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 9

Cake recipes should all bake correctly as cupcakes. If you have a problem, then the recipe is not balanced or pan size is not correct or baking time needs to be adjusted. Good luck.

Bliss Pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bliss Pastry Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 9

I use all of my recipes as both cake and cupcakes too. Pretty sure if you just reduce the cooking time they would be fine but going to 325 also wouldn't hurt them.

ciara-e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ciara-e Posted 23 Jul 2012 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 9

I also use the same recipe for both cakes and cupcakes and they work fine. You have to bake them a little less but they should come out the same.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Jul 2012 , 1:54am
post #9 of 9

I disagree. Not all cake recipes bake up nice as cake recipes. At my shop we change the recipe slightly for cakes. You are not imagining things if they don't taste correct as cupcakes.

The ones here that get good cupcakes may be using a doctored mix, or just got lucky that there recipe works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%