Where Do Business Owners Buy Their Fondant?

Business By letsgetcaking Updated 3 Aug 2012 , 6:25am by SHYLERScakes

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 14

Since making fondant is time consuming, I've been researching which brands of fondant people like the most. It sounds like there is a consensus that Wilton fondant is not the best, but I'm having difficulty finding the others in local stores - Fondarific, Choco-Pan, Grischuna, Pettinice, FondX, Duff, Massa Ticino Tropic, etc...

Where do you purchase your fondant? Are you able to purchase it in bulk to justify the high shipping cost? Are there restaurant supply companies that carry it?

Any help you can give me would be wonderful!

13 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 14

I buy mine from a local wholesaler or through www.Decopac.com (they have a flat shipping rate even to Alaska). I use Satin Ice fondant.

letsgetcaking Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for responding, KoryAK. Do you only buy from DecoPac if your local wholesaler is out of stock? What do you like about Satin Ice?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 14

I buy mine through Dawn Foods which is a large food supply company through Canada and the US.It come in 5lb pails and is priced at $26.00 a pail.I usually buy 6 or 8 at a time as I have to have a minimum amount for delivery.It is called white Deccorice and smells and tastes like Cotton Candy..By far the best fondant..Easy to color..very nice to work with...nice taste and texture...

Tjensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tjensen Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 14

I use Satin Ice. I buy from CK Products and recently I've been purchasing from Jesters Cake Supply aka: Fondant Source. I can get it from Jesters or CK for about 56.00 for 20 lbs or about 48.00 - 49.00 for 20 lbs. Jesters is GREAT and there's no minimum and anyone can purchase from them. http://www.fondantsource.com/

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 12 Jul 2012 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 14

I make my own, but I used to buy Massa from Albert Uster Imports. Pricey, but you can use a lot less per cake so it evens out.

letsgetcaking Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 2:04am
post #7 of 14

Thank you so much, everyone who has replied! I will check out these suppliers and fondant. If anyone has any others they'd like to share, I would love to hear about them.

letsgetcaking Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 2:06am
post #8 of 14

Kiddiekakes, do you know if Decorrice is available in the U.S.?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 4:53am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

Thanks for responding, KoryAK. Do you only buy from DecoPac if your local wholesaler is out of stock? What do you like about ?

Decopac used to be cheaper and I used to buy from them exclusively, but now my wholesaler has edged them out. The "Decopac" fondant is just re-labeled Satin Ice. Satin Ice tastes very nice IMO and my customers think so too and I find it very easy to work with. I can also add tylose that makes it a close-enough gumpaste.

letsgetcaking Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 12:16pm
post #10 of 14

Thank you, KoryAK!

BailiasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BailiasCakes Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:39am
post #11 of 14

I order direct from Fondarific. I love their products. If you are a registered business, they will give you wholesale prices, and the shipping isn't anything too horrible. I also plan ahead enough that I'm ordering more than 2 lbs at a time. I did the research as well - samples, prices, availability. Fondarific was the one with the best price for the product. It has been worth it to see my customers not peal the fondant off their cakes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 1:06am
post #12 of 14

I've been buying from Dawn for a decade and never knew they had fondant. Well, they have liquid fondant, but rolled fondant? Who knew!!

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 6:00am
post #13 of 14

We use Elite FondX. I love how many colors it comes in. We're located in Southern California so I'll make the drive to Caljava's warehouse to save on shipping if I'm already going to be in the LA area. They have decent shipping as well as some great pre made flowers. Other companies sell FondX as well, which may be closer to you to save on shipping.

SHYLERScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHYLERScakes Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 6:25am
post #14 of 14

I order fondarific from Amazon. You can subscribe to receive monthly shipments at a discounted rate. I go through them because I'm located in Hawaii and shipping here is horrendous! Amazon ships for free so I take full advantage of that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%